News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM-100 with 5" grinding wheels

Started by C.J., April 11, 2021, 02:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.J.

Hi,

This is my first post, and I have a question I figured would have already been asked many times before, but my searching of this discussion board was not fruitful.  Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else - if so, just drop a link and I will check it out. 

I am a woodworker, but completely brand new to wood turning.  I am gathering all of the stuff needed, and I am currently working on reconditioning an old dry-wheel grinder to use with the Tormek BGM-100 dry grinding setup.  My hope is to rough shape tools before sharpening on my T-8. For sentimental reasons, I am reworking my deceased father-in-law's 1950's General Hardware grinder with two 5" wheels.  In reading about the BGM-100's setup, however, it clearly states it is for use with 6-10" wheels.  I am wondering how the 5" setup compares to a 6".  If using a 5" wheel is going to be fussy, perhaps more cumbersome, but workable, I will give it a shot.  If a 5" wheel is doomed to failure, I'll just get a bigger grinder. 

Thanks for any advice and insights. 

Regards,

c.j.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, CJ.

Your question rings a familiar bell with me. I asked turning and sharpening expert, Ernie Conover almost the same question. My dry grinder is a Sears Craftsman six inch model I purchased in 1972. It served me very well until I purchased my T7 in 2009. Although I much prefer Tormek dust free wet grinding, i must admit the faster dry grinding can be tempting with tasks like reshaping turning tools. That said, I really don't want to invest in a new eight inch dry grinder.

Ernie knows that I am a Tormeker. I asked him what he thought about doing the heavier shaping with my present six inch grinder and then switching to my Tormek. Ernie thought that was a practical solution. I see no reason why your father-in-law's five inch General Hardware grinder won't work, also. You will have a little more finish grinding to do, as do I; however, you will have the connection of putting your father-in-law's grinder back on active duty.
Enjoy!
Ken

C.J.

Great, I appreciate your reply, Ken, thank you!

Regards,

c.j.