News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Another idea for pivoting the knife jigs

Started by GKC, November 11, 2018, 11:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: harivney on May 23, 2020, 04:23:56 PM
can someone please tell me the diameter of the shaft on Knife Blade Sharpening Jig Tormek SVM-45? I don't have tormek yet.

12mm.

If you can, take a look at one of the spreadsheets or calculators you'll find in my signature... most have the dimensions of everything.  :)

For example... http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexCalcProj.html has the basics.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

harivney

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 23, 2020, 05:51:44 PM
Quote from: harivney on May 23, 2020, 04:23:56 PM
can someone please tell me the diameter of the shaft on Knife Blade Sharpening Jig Tormek SVM-45? I don't have tormek yet.

12mm.
...snip...

True enough, 12mm.  But the jigs are cast parts, with a parting line down both sides.  Sometimes those parting lines cause binding.  I've filed them down when needed. 

Also, I found the shaft on my two SVD-140s to be oversize, such that my Pin Pivot Collar didn't fit very well. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Stephen M

Little Finger

A simple way is drill a hole of the appropriate size through the shaft of the jig, and insert a piece of drill rod. Drill and tap a set screw to hold the drill rod. Or you can just use epoxy to glue the shaft in place.

Guelgo

Actually, made my own version of the SVM-45 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrh2nmpYKU
I turned 2 knobs, one pretty flat like in the original version and another one rounded.
It works quite nice :). Hope this helps

Ken S

Quote from: Dutchman on November 20, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
In order to match the jig to the curvature of the knife tip, the length of the jig should be variable, equa; to the radius of the curvature, and in any case longer than it is now. ;)

When Dutchman speaks, I listen. Until 2002, all the Tormek knife jigs were longer. Apparently, there was a problem with some users leaning on the longer jigs, so they were redesigned to their present length. The earlier jigs were around 40 mm longer, including longer threaded shafts. They also used locking screws.

I wanted a longer jig with a threaded shaft for small paring knives to reach 139mm Projection with the kenjig. I found two of them on ebay. Even though they are twenty years out of production, they show up occasionally.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 14, 2021, 12:08:41 AM
Quote from: Dutchman on November 20, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
In order to match the jig to the curvature of the knife tip, the length of the jig should be variable, equa; to the radius of the curvature, and in any case longer than it is now. ;)

When Dutchman speaks, I listen. Until 2002, all the Tormek knife jigs were longer. Apparently, there was a problem with some users leaning on the longer jigs, so they were redesigned to their present length. The earlier jigs were around 40 mm longer, including longer threaded shafts. They also used locking screws.

I wanted a longer jig with a threaded shaft for small paring knives to reach 139mm Projection with the kenjig. I found two of them on ebay. Even though they are twenty years out of production, they show up occasionally.

Ken

I don't disagree with this, but I believe you can also adjust it by how far or close you clamp the "belly to tip" area, in relation to the clamp.

kenlip

Quote from: Ken S on October 14, 2021, 12:08:41 AM

I wanted a longer jig with a threaded shaft for small paring knives to reach 139mm Projection with the kenjig.

Ken

I am not fully acquainted with the Kenjig, which might be apparent from what I am about to write.
My current understanding is that the 139mm was decided upon based on the range of dimensions of the particular knives that Ken was going to sharpen and not that it is some 'golden' dimension that would apply to all knives.

Of course I could be totally wrong about that, and I am perfectly happy to be corrected and to learn.

Ken (a different one  :)

Relative newbie
SA-250 that is about 35 years old
About to upgrade to a T-8

Ken S

Ken, welcome to the forum.

While I would like to say that the 139mm number came to me in a dream, the real reason was much more practical.
At the time I designed the kenjig (originally called the KS-150) my entire collection of kitchen knives consisted of half a dozen Henckels I had had for fourteen years. All of them were traditional designs with gentle curves; I had no use for pivoting. As described in the attached instructions, I used different jigs for my eight inch chef knife, six inch slicer, and four inch paring knife. The system also works with just one SVM-45.

I learned recently that Dutchman, whose grinding angles booklet inspired the kenjig, described the process I later used for the 139mm Projection figure. While not the first to tred on this path, I at least chose a good explorer to follow.

I was originally concerned with compensating for wheel wear, and several later variations by other members incorporated automatic compensation. With constant diameter diamond wheels, this is no longer an issue. I also believe that I was overly concerned about it at the time.

I standardized at 15 degrees per side. Different angle settings are easily obtained by simply making more kenjigs.
Most people do not understand the kenjig. I believe the basic concept, while based on Dutchman's solid trig, is too simple; it flies under the radar.

Ken (the old one  :)

https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/Images/Tool-Jig-KenJig.pdf

Dutchman

Quote from: kenlip on December 01, 2021, 05:59:01 AM
My current understanding is that the 139mm was decided upon based on the range of dimensions of the particular knives that Ken was going to sharpen and not that it is some 'golden' dimension that would apply to all knives
The 139mm originates from my proposal on angle-adjustment in the documents you can find at the links in my signature.
You can find the following citations:
• Length between stop and clamp edge  is adjustable from 108 to 125 mm
and
Consider a cooks knife with a width of 45mm. The jig can grip the knife to a depth of 14mm. As a consequence the knife edge extends 31mm from the clamp.
Thus the distance A between the knife edge and the adjustable stop can be varied between 108+31 and 125+31 mm, that is from 139mm to 156mm.

Because the adjustment range is 17mm, all knives with a width between 38 and 45mm can thus be set to a Projection distance of 139mm.
Knives with a smaller width must therefore be set to a smaller Projection and therefore also a different USB height

cbwx34

I would say a combined effort.   ::)

Dutchman came up with this, and Ken gives him credit in his work, but as kenlip pointed out, Ken most likely "standardized" the 139mm in his Kenjig work... a measurement that worked with most of his knives.

(Or maybe this is "beyond my ken").   :D

Leap

Hello, I am a newcomer here at the Tormek Forum Community.

Thank you to everyone who is sharing their knowledge and experience.

I might have made something that can be 3D-printed, just started my printer and will know in about 50 mins if I am on to something or not.

Leap

Seems to be a working prototype, made fit for a M5 screw to tighten the pivot collar.

nevertakeadayoff

Quote from: Leap on February 02, 2022, 09:25:31 AM
Seems to be a working prototype, made fit for a M5 screw to tighten the pivot collar.

I love it!  .... now I need a 3d printer and a few things to learn...