News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hand Tools Manual

Started by RichColvin, March 03, 2021, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

A few days ago, Chief Warrant Officer (ret) Rick Laws sent me an eMail with an attached manual from the U.S. War Dept that was issued back in 1945. 

TM 9-867 Maintenance and Care of Hand Tools

Rick noted that he "... used this manual for soldier training and information. It is a little dated, but so are most tools used by most people."  He is right:  I have tools I've inherited from both my grandfathers.

Rick later sent me the updated versions from 2004 and 2020.  All 3 versions are available at this link ==> https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexBooksVideosWebSites.html.

These are really good manuals to reference about the use and care of hand tools.  It is not Tormek related; however there is a lot of information that there that carries over to the use of a Tormek.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Thanks for these, Rich. 

What a fascinating trove of useful information.  There is so much great info that it is hard to comprehend it all being in one place.  Many, many tools I'm aware of that I've never used and I now know where to look on everything about them.  And lots of info on tools I use that I probably don't know.  While the 2020 version looks to be the most useful currently, I think reading parts of the 1945 version could be very entertaining and there will be tidbits that have been lost in the more recent versions. 

And thanks for all your work creating and maintaining your "Sharpening Handbook", and even greater trove of important and useful information.  I don't refer to it often, but when I do I find what I'm looking for and much more. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

micha

Rich,

thanks so much, that's really fascinating. I've spent the last hour reading in the 'historical' version. At least it's been entertaining, as Rick said. But there's so much to learn even from - or especially from- those ancient documents.

These manuals make a great addition to the sharpening handbook, much appreciated!

Mike

RichColvin

Rick and Mike,

Thank you for your kind words.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Drilon

Hello Rick,

thank you for adding these manuals to your sharpeninghandbook! Drilling holes with manpower and not with electricity makes me smile!

Stay healthy!
Drilon

Ken S

Rich,

I happen to own a copy of that book. I inherited it from my grandfather. It is a treasured book and a good reference.
When the US became involved in WWII, we realized we had a critical shortage of skilled workers to replace the soldiers leaving for the war. This book was one of many designed to help fill the knowledge gap. These books were part of a national effort to bring new workers without previous industrial experience up to speed rapidly. They are still a valuable resource.

Popular Science printed The New Home Workshop Encyclopedia. In addition to workshop oriented articles, there were articles of subjects like creating home Victory gardens and recycling metal for the war effort.

The book, Gaging and Inspection, an outstanding text still in print with several updates, cameout of the wartime situation. I have found this a valuable resource.

Thanks, Rich, for providing your most valuable Sharpening Handbook.

Ken