News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

newbie knife questions

Started by RJ, November 09, 2006, 03:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Background: New Tormek owner (with little knife sharpening skill/experience) who bought his machine to learn to sharpen knives, scissors, and other household tools. Am in the process of trying to master these sharpening arts as time permits. Want to learn things correctly, so have some questions

In the handbook under the jig for knife sharpening SVM-45
Thin knives
"When setting an edge angle on thin knives the length of the bevel is very short and it can therefore be difficult to align it to the angle setter. you can let the angle setter touch the blade of the knife instead of the bevel. then the angle setter should be set to half of the desired angle."  There are two line drawings demonstrating.

Q1
From the above quote, it seems that I am using the usual settings on a thin knife or the 40? for a kitchen knife I set that AngleMaster to 20? as shown in the linedrawings. Correct?

Q2
I have a thin fillet knife (1970s Chicago cutlery) where have the blade is ground as the edge and is very thin. I am unsure how to determine the angle, do I just do it as above except at 15? and if the angle does not match it was last ground by an outside business I am afraid if it is off by a lot there will not be much knife left when I am done

Q3
On the other hand, my wife has a very hefty Tramontina 6" Cooks knife, in my example TT-C-40306 is its number on url http://allheartchefs.com/chefsknives.html.
She likes it being heavy as it helps her chop. the angle goes down straight to the edge, having never been sharpened except with a 'steel'. Do you just sharpen at 20? per side?

Q4
Is there a companion gauge for knives that will show angles similar to the AngleMaster but skewed toward knifes as often it appears I seem to be able to read multiple angles in the AngleMaster when checking knives as the width is wide for the thin knives I am currently working with?

Q5
Axes
The full-size axe I want to sharpen is very convex compared to all the book drawings. Should it be done freehand using the universal tool support or with the axe SVA-170?

I could supply pictures if it would help in formulating a reply?

Q6
I note there will be a demo in Novi (Detroit) on Dec 1-3. How much assistance for owners can be provided is there certain ties you might have time to show explain sharpening. Could I bring some examples/samples of knives, etc? I live an hour or so away.

Thanks in Advance.
RJ

Jeff Farris

Quote from: RJ on November 09, 2006, 03:13:40 AM
Background: New Tormek owner (with little knife sharpening skill/experience) who bought his machine to learn to sharpen knives, scissors, and other household tools. Am in the process of trying to master these sharpening arts as time permits. Want to learn things correctly, so have some questions

In the handbook under the jig for knife sharpening SVM-45
Thin knives
"When setting an edge angle on thin knives the length of the bevel is very short and it can therefore be difficult to align it to the angle setter. you can let the angle setter touch the blade of the knife instead of the bevel. then the angle setter should be set to half of the desired angle."  There are two line drawings demonstrating.

Q1
From the above quote, it seems that I am using the usual settings on a thin knife or the 40? for a kitchen knife I set that AngleMaster to 20? as shown in the linedrawings. Correct?

That is correct. Despite the long winded explanation, the bottom line is that almost every knife you will ever sharpen will be ground at an angle of 20 degrees on each side of the blade, for a combined edge angle of 40 degrees. Set the AngleMaster to 20 degrees and measure it to the body of the knife blade, just behind the ground bevel.

QuoteQ2
I have a thin fillet knife (1970s Chicago cutlery) where have the blade is ground as the edge and is very thin. I am unsure how to determine the angle, do I just do it as above except at 15? and if the angle does not match it was last ground by an outside business I am afraid if it is off by a lot there will not be much knife left when I am done

This is one of those rare exceptions to the answer above.  My suggestion is to grade the stone very fine -- in fact that is my suggestion for all knife sharpening -- and mark the bevel with a waterproof marker.  Then  adjust the jig until the marker is taken off the bevel from edge to back when turning the grindstone by hand.  That way you can match the original bevel without guesssing.

QuoteQ3
On the other hand, my wife has a very hefty Tramontina 6" Cooks knife, in my example TT-C-40306 is its number on url http://allheartchefs.com/chefsknives.html.
She likes it being heavy as it helps her chop. the angle goes down straight to the edge, having never been sharpened except with a 'steel'. Do you just sharpen at 20? per side?

Yes, 20 degrees each side.  If she really whacks on it, beef it up to 22-1/2.

QuoteQ4
Is there a companion gauge for knives that will show angles similar to the AngleMaster but skewed toward knifes as often it appears I seem to be able to read multiple angles in the AngleMaster when checking knives as the width is wide for the thin knives I am currently working with?

No.  Thin knife blades are very difficult to measure the included angle.  There is no easy way -- of course, the good news is, that means there's no easy way to see if someone has screwed up. ;D  Don't make it harder than it is.  Unless you seriously stretch the bevel on one side of the blade, it's probably all right.

QuoteQ5
Axes
The full-size axe I want to sharpen is very convex compared to all the book drawings. Should it be done freehand using the universal tool support or with the axe SVA-170?

I would do it freehand, with the wheel turning away from the edge.

QuoteQ6
I note there will be a demo in Novi (Detroit) on Dec 1-3. How much assistance for owners can be provided is there certain ties you might have time to show explain sharpening. Could I bring some examples/samples of knives, etc? I live an hour or so away.

You're welcome to bring one or two tools that are really baffling you.  I will do my best to get you headed in the right direction.

Jeff Farris
SharpToolsUSA
Jeff Farris