News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Using TormekCalc2 for Tormek-4

Started by Lemme, February 13, 2021, 04:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemme

Hi all
I have finally bought myself a Tormek-4, and I am looking forward to trying it out. Have never tried this before – I am a really new to this.

One of the things that was compelling to me was the 'TormekCalc2'. It seems like a great tool to do precise adjustments. So I have also 3D printed a FVB and mounted it. It fits, feels stable, and I am good to go. My plan is to use the FVB for the honing wheel, and not the grinding wheel.

But, I thought it was not a problem updating 'TormekCalc2' with the Tormek-4 specifications, as there were already some constants on the Settings sheet. I updated 'Machine 2' with Tormek-4 specifications (HV, VV, HH, VH), leaving the other three untouched (see picture Default.jpg and Default2.jpg).

The settings that 'TormekCalc2' calculate for me to use, can be seen in Settings.jpg.

Using the vertical support bar for the SG-200 seems to be OK, as both 'T USB' and 'VUSB' adds up to my measurements. But when I use the FVB for the LA-145 honing wheel, my measurements do not add up. Adjusting 'T USB' for 92,73 gives me a 'FUSB' measurement of 66,5 instead of 45,26.

I am worried that I have not updated all parameters for the Tormek-4. And things are now getting a little bit too complicated. So I would kindly ask someone with a Tormek-4 using 'TormekCalc2' – does my variables in Default.jpg and Default2.jpg seems correct. Or even better, would someone be able to provide a 'TormekCalc2' with Tormek-4 specifications?

Best regards
Flemming

jvh

Hello,

thank you for using TormekCalc2.

Your settings seems to be O.K. (I suppose that constants VH, FVB body thickness and VF are correct). The last one you have to set is Frontal vertical base offset F. Default value is 24,4 mm, you can find it on Settings sheet in the cell F12 and usually it is the minimum possible value = when FVB is pushed to the Tormek's body or up to the stops against horizontal sleeves. Because value F can vary you can enter/change current value in the cell D13 on TormekCalc sheet (and in the cell D17 on BevelCalc sheet). More see pictures...

jvh

Lemme

Hi jvh
Many thanks for reaching out. I have now concentrated on the Frontal vertical base offset F as you mentioned.

I have the FVB pushed up to the Tormek's body as seen in attached picture. According to my measurement the distance is 16,4. I have updated the value in sheet 'TormekCalc' at D13 (I also had to set F26 in 'Settings' to a lower value for this to take effect).

According to the new calculation the value should be 55,13, but I measure 66,5.
Edit update: when I measured 66,5 I have first adjusted T USB to 92,73 – and that might be wrong as my new mail below...

Do you have any idea of what I could me missing?

Lemme

I just realized this...when I changed the FVB offset, only FUSB changed.  And I think I have asked the wrong questions based on wrong assumptions.

Now - referring to Settings2.jpg, is it correct that the values T USB and FUSB are only for use with the vertical support bar? And I can make a sanity check by measuring both variables to see that they match in real life?

As changing the FVB offset only changed the FUSB value, it implies to me that the horizontal support bar with the FVB, only uses the FUSB value (the 'T USB' and 'VUSB' are not to be used).

And as such, when using the FVB I only use the FUSB value, and I cannot use any other variables from the 'TormekCalc2' to make a sanity check.

Does it make sense what I am writing?

jvh

Hello,

oh, I forgot to disable limit Min. FVB distance F - please change this value to 16,3 on Settings sheet in the cell F26 otherwise Default value F is used for calculations if lower value than Min. FVB distance F is entered to FVB offset cell. Other limits on Settings sheet (cells F27 to F34) should be changed too but they affect visualization only (you will see grayed cell if calculated values will be out of range).

Then check constants VH, FVB body thickness and VF again. I see that at least FVB body thickness constant isn't set correctly - it should be about 45 mm according to your lastest photo (from the FVB body end to the USB axis). See picture "Dimensions.jpg" for required dimensions and measuring points.

I just realized this...when I changed the FVB offset, only FUSB changed.  And I think I have asked the wrong questions based on wrong assumptions.
That is O.K. FVB offset changes affects only calculations of FUSB height.

Now - referring to Settings2.jpg, is it correct that the values T USB and FUSB are only for use with the vertical support bar? And I can make a sanity check by measuring both variables to see that they match in real life?
T USB is a common value for all types of USBs. I strongly recommend it to check the constant settings. It is the same for all USBs, because the diameter of the wheel, the protrusion and the grinding angle are the same and it does not matter where the support is located because its distance from the wheel must always be the same.

As changing the FVB offset only changed the FUSB value, it implies to me that the horizontal support bar with the FVB, only uses the FUSB value (the 'T USB' and 'VUSB' are not to be used).
T USB is used for calculation of all USBs height (see above), FUSB is independent on VUSB, constant VH is common for calculation of HUSB and FUSB heights.

And as such, when using the FVB I only use the FUSB value, and I cannot use any other variables from the 'TormekCalc2' to make a sanity check.
No, use T USB for checking - see above.

Definitely. You are on the right way. TormekCalc2 is a very complex app and it is not easy to set it up. Unfortunately no one has shared advanced settings for the T-4 yet, so I couldn't add preset data for it. I hope you will share them someday...

jvh

Lemme

Yes...success!!!!

This is the updates I made, and now my measurements are aligned with the calculations:
Default FVB distance F [mm] = 16,4
VF - FVB constant [mm] = 45

Many thanks for your drawings and explanations!

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on February 13, 2021, 10:52:26 PM
Hello,

oh, I forgot to disable limit Min. FVB distance F - please change this value to 16,3 on Settings sheet in the cell F26 otherwise Default value F is used for calculations if lower value than Min. FVB distance F is entered to FVB offset cell. Other limits on Settings sheet (cells F27 to F34) should be changed too but they affect visualization only (you will see grayed cell if calculated values will be out of range).

Then check constants VH, FVB body thickness and VF again. I see that at least FVB body thickness constant isn't set correctly - it should be about 45 mm according to your lastest photo (from the FVB body end to the USB axis). See picture "Dimensions.jpg" for required dimensions and measuring points.

That is O.K. FVB offset changes affects only calculations of FUSB height.

T USB is a common value for all types of USBs. I strongly recommend it to check the constant settings. It is the same for all USBs, because the diameter of the wheel, the protrusion and the grinding angle are the same and it does not matter where the support is located because its distance from the wheel must always be the same.

T USB is used for calculation of all USBs height (see above), FUSB is independent on VUSB, constant VH is common for calculation of HUSB and FUSB heights.

No, use T USB for checking - see above.

Definitely. You are on the right way. TormekCalc2 is a very complex app and it is not easy to set it up. Unfortunately no one has shared advanced settings for the T-4 yet, so I couldn't add preset data for it. I hope you will share them someday...

jvh

Glad you were here for this one!     :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)