News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How often/when to true the stone

Started by Azazell64, January 20, 2021, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azazell64

Hi guys, I'm relatively new here and I was just wondering if you trued your stone out of the box and how frequently there after? Is there a tell all method for knowing when it needs to be trued?

Thanks.

Dakotapix

A small machinists' square is valuable for checking your grinding wheel's squareness to the sides. Also valuable for checking whether your plane or chisels blades are being ground square. I keep a couple of these squares as part of my Tormek kit. I'm willing to bet that our moderator Ken S will also suggest that more frequent, but lighter trueing of the wheel, is preferred. :)

Azazell64

Thanks Dakota, I'm sure I will have a carpenters square that I can make work for this. I never thought of something so simple. Thanks again for the input.

John_B

The wheel will get out of round eventually. Hold something that is just touching the wheel and rotate the wheel by hand. If the wheel pushes the item towards you or a gap forms the wheel is out of round. With the truing tool you can also hear this. If you set the diamond to just touch the wheel you will hear it touch and move away if it is out of round.

I also like to use my rough grading stone on the corners so they are rounded a bit.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Alihussein8

Hello!, the way i was taught on checking if stone is true or not is to bring the USB as close to the stone as possible without touching and turn the machine on. if stone is out of round you will see it wobble. Goodluck!

Ken S

Quote from: Dakotapix on January 20, 2021, 01:54:30 PM
A small machinists' square is valuable for checking your grinding wheel's squareness to the sides. Also valuable for checking whether your plane or chisels blades are being ground square. I keep a couple of these squares as part of my Tormek kit. I'm willing to bet that our moderator Ken S will also suggest that more frequent, but lighter trueing of the wheel, is preferred. :)

You are correct. I do recommend frequent very light truing. I don't think that in the long run this removes any more of the wheel than less frequent deeper truing, and the wheel stays truer.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on January 21, 2021, 01:15:40 PM
...snip...
You are correct. I do recommend frequent very light truing. I don't think that in the long run this removes any more of the wheel than less frequent deeper truing, and the wheel stays truer.

Ken

And I like it because it provides a more aggressive cutting condition that the stone grader cannot produce.  If I didn't have other alternatives for coarse grinding/heavy removal, I would dress lightly before starting on a very dull blade. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

M7 MetaWorks

In trued mine right out of the box.....and yes, it needed it.

Drilon

Since 4 days there are two videos by Vadim (Knife Grinders) on YouTube about truing https://youtu.be/CqDorNSVb5Q and grading the stone https://youtu.be/141hD1d1zj0.

Stay healthy!
Drilon