News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4, wheel stops if temperatures are low

Started by overmed, January 11, 2021, 11:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overmed

Hello,
I'm a proud owner of a T4 (2 years old only) and the machine works perfect, but my workshop has no heatig and in winter it gets pretty cold sometimes. It is then, when the wheel doesn't run smoothely but stops. The motor is running but the wheel will not turn rund, kind of jerking.
I'm sure that there is an easy solution for that issue. Someone can give me a hint?
Thanks in Advance
Andreas

jeffs55

I suspect the rubber drive wheel has become so cold that it is too hard to grip the drive shaft of the stone. It is slipping on it. If I am correct, you need to heat the wheel with a heater or even a bare light bulb placed next to it so the rubber becomes soft enough to grip.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Andreas.

I like Jeff's suggestion. I would add something from around page 161 ofthe handbook. Occasionally, the rubber drive wheel may become glazed. Running your Tormek for a few seconds with the leather honing wheel removed and sandpaper rubbing against the rubber wheel will clear any glaze.

You should also email support (support@tormek.se).

Keep us posted.

Ken

BradGE

A tangential point to add here.  I once accidentally dropped a bit of honing paste onto the rubber wheel that quickly coated the drive spindle of my T8... I didn't notice right away, and every time I applied pressure on the SG250 it would slow to a halt as the rubber slipped...  it didn't take long to sort out, but a point I would add to a troubleshooting manual if one existed...

cbwx34

Quote from: overmed on January 11, 2021, 11:07:44 AM
...but my workshop has no heatig and in winter it gets pretty cold sometimes....

Just for a bit of reference... how cold does it get?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good question, CB.

No one has mentioned an obvious solution. You mention that your Tormek is a T4. One of the things I like the most about the T4 is that it is lightweight and compact enough to be easily carried. Why not bring it into your living area at night?

Ken

RickKrung

Why not bring it in to USE.  It isn't a messy or noisy machine.  If it is so cold as to make the drive wheel slip, I'd think it is cold enough to be uncomfortable to use, albeit, I know well that we can dress for the cold, our hand must be bare or nearly bare to use it. 

I'd also like to see the response to CB's question about how cold.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

overmed

:) ;)
Hello and many thanks for all your usefull comments.
You may have read in the press that here in Spain we actually have a strong winter with a lot of snow really and arctic temperatures (coldest point of Spain on saturday was - 35,9° !!!).
In my workshop I have today - 4 degrees. Now you can say: Stop turning and protect your fingers, but woodturning is like a drug meanwhile jajaja. Specially the holm oak or holly oak whit it´s beautiful texture and grain, which grows in abundance here, is my favorite. Very hard wood really, so I need a lot of sharpening
But I managed the problem, just took of the leatherwheel and gently treated the rubber with 150 grid sandpaper a little bit and it works perfectly.
In my case the pages 161-163 of the handbook has been very usefull. But the best was the service of the german distributor Tixit, who called me and explained me the mentioned solution. Fabulous service. The support team from Tormek itself didn't answer my request.
So again, many thanks to all of you and happy 2021, which only can be better

RickKrung

Yikes, -40°  Spain?  The Spain that is in Europe, with an eastern coast on the Mediterranean?  Hope your trees and crops survive.

Four years ago, I moved to far northeastern Oregon and my first winter, it was -16° for three weeks and I thought that was cold. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

-40° C = -40° F really cold and dangerous.

When it gets that cold sharpening is not a big concern; frostbite can happen quickly
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jeffs55

Of interest to me as it is that cold is how long before the cold got there did you use the T4? I am curious to know if the stone was wet. If it was wet, surely it cracked.......................... or did it?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.