News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Returning the SE-77 to square for plane blade sharpening

Started by drdabrown, January 11, 2021, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdabrown

I have been using my relatively new Tormek T-8 and love the results. I have sharpened everything in my shop and kitchen, but just recently discovered that my chisels and plane blades are out of square. It is not dramatic, but when i tried to use my block plane and had a problem achieving an even space in the opening, i discovered that the plane blade was sharpened out of square. Looking at a set of bench chisels that I had sharpened with the jig revealed the same and at the same angle or deviation from square.
I remember seeing the adjustment knobs on the SE-77 when I first opened the shipping box and I may have played with them not knowing their function. If I did and adjusted it out of square, how do I recalibrate it back to square?
I've done a search of other posts on the SE-77 but haven't found a post describing how to accurately set square on the jig, just how it works nicely to set camber.
Please help a new user on how to reset square on this jig.
Thanks

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Dr.David.

My old photography instructor, Fred Picker, used to say that "What it does for you, it also does to you. The adjustable camber control is a real advance for plane blades. The drawback is that this camber control eliminates the auto alignment of the older SE-76. The Tormek online class for chisels and planes demonstrates using the witness lines. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/wMATay8ITE8

Using a small square to check is important. Use a black marker and just touch the chisel to the grinding wheel. Use the square to get an indication that you are grinding square. Are you old enough to remember the DEW Line? During the Cold War, the DEW Line was the early warning system to protect the US from possible missle attack. Using the small square early on is your early warning system which allows you to course correct before grinding awaytoo much chisel.

You are learning; keep up the good work and don't be shy about asking questions.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on January 11, 2021, 01:49:42 AM
...snip...
My old photography instructor, Fred Picker, ...snip...

Ken

WOW!  Fred Picker.  Never met him, but studied and used some of his techniques.  I still have the cold light head I bought for my Beseler 23C.  Don't have the enlarger anymore, but hung on to the light.  I miss those times. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,
Attending two of Fred's workshops (Zone VI Studios in Vermont) was a life altering event for me. Fred was an outstanding instructor.
Ken

I am fighting a similar issue, but suspect that the cause is different.

I think you can check for square like this:
- true the wheel
- lower the universal support to the wheel and use it as a ruler to draw a line across your stone. It should be square
-clamp a ruler in se-77 so that it's against the edge
- make sure butt of the ruler follows the line you had drawn. Adjust as necessary