News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek TS-740 - Casters

Started by William, December 29, 2020, 01:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William

Hi all,

So I just received my TS-740 finally in a non broken state.  I had always planned to replace the feet with Casters, however, I am having issues finding a 5/8" thread.  Instead of beating my head, I thought I would just ask if anyone had a brand/part # that they have used in the past.

Thanks,

William

Ken S

William,

Here are two options:

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Stem-Caster-Thread-pieces/dp/B0099W35XY

These are the correct thread and should just thread in.

The second option, what I presently use, is a Bora PM-1000. Once installed, this works very well. Installation is NOT plug and play. I needed to shorten two of the cross pieces with a hacksaw and add some plywood support pieces. The Bora kit costs less than the threaded castors; however, if you factor in anything for your labor, the cost difference is insignificant.

If you don't move the work station often, the regular threaded feet moved with an appliance dollie works adequately.

Ken

micha

William,

I'm sorry I can't help, but that's something I've been searching for a while now, too.
Maybe I'll try to turn an adaptor and go with M12 or M10 casters.
Another idea is fixing a block of aluminium/wood/POM with a 5/8" screw in each corner and fix casters with common tapping screws (of course those without screw bolt fixtures).

It's the only non-metric measurment in the Tormek world that I'm aware of and it's quite a challenge to find something appropriate over here.

Ken's Bora PM-1000 looks like a good approach, too.

Mike

William

Thanks all!  My buddy down the street is a welder, so I may just use some plate and weld casters to it and weld it to the cabinet or get some 5/8"s thread.

RichColvin

I get stuff like this from McMaster-Carr.  Here's the link where I searched for it:

https://www.mcmaster.com/casters/mount-type~stem/stem-type~threaded/stem-thread-size~5-8-11/

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

William,

Many years ago, Jeff Farris, the founder of this forum, appeared with Norm Abram on an episode of the New Yankee Workshop. Norm was building a sharpening station. Jeff demonstrated the Tormek and shared some sharpening station thoughts with Norm. Jeff specifically cautioned against using castors, as he felt they would make the stand less rigid.

I used my Tormek Work Station for several years before adding the Bora base with castors. I have not noticed any difference with or without castors. On the other hand, I have not moved my work station since adding the castors.

If you have an actual need to move your work station, by all means add castors. If not, think twice about adding castors.

Incidentally, if you unclip and remove the drawers, the shell of the work station is light enough to work on.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on December 29, 2020, 05:04:53 AM
I get stuff like this from McMaster-Carr.  Here's the link where I searched for it:

https://www.mcmaster.com/casters/mount-type~stem/stem-type~threaded/stem-thread-size~5-8-11/

Good luck,
Rich

I'm with Rich on a great source for casters.  I get all sorts of stuff from McMaster-Carr.  Incredible selection on all sorts of common stuff and hard to find stuff.  Fast delivery every time.  Whenever I need a quantity of fasteners, I usually get them here.   

Quote from: Ken S on December 29, 2020, 02:27:58 AM
William,
...snip...
The second option, what I presently use, is a Bora PM-1000. Once installed, this works very well. Installation is NOT plug and play. I needed to shorten two of the cross pieces with a hacksaw and add some plywood support pieces. The Bora kit costs less than the threaded castors; however, if you factor in anything for your labor, the cost difference is insignificant.

If you don't move the work station often, the regular threaded feet moved with an appliance dollie works adequately.

Ken

The Bora mobile bases are top-notch.  I have one under my 300 lb Powermate 140 14" bandsaw.  I also have three machines on Woodcraft mobile bases (two sanders and a spindle sander).  Be mindful of the protrusions these mobile bases come with.  The casters and lifting levers extend out from the unit base perimeter.  These can get in the way when standing close and can be trip hazards. 

I also have two machines on rectangular stands, with lockable casters, a router table and a miter saw.  The casters are mostly out of the way, being nearly fully under the stand corners.  Accessing the locking levers can be tricky, but most often I only need to lock two of them. 

A third option are removable casters.  This arrangement is a combination of lever-type casters that typically mount securely to wooden bench legs - with addition of quick-release mounting plates.  This combination is more appropriate for heavier workstations that are not move often.  I use these on my recently completed woodworking bench.  The casters, when mounted, stick out quite a bit, but since they are removable, once the bench is positioned and lowered onto its leveling feet, the casters are removed and the area around the legs is clear.  Nice that these casters can be used on more than one workstation, although I have not had that need yet. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 29, 2020, 09:28:16 AM
Many years ago, Jeff Farris, the founder of this forum, appeared with Norm Abram on an episode of the New Yankee Workshop. Norm was building a sharpening station...

https://youtu.be/Spxz3_s_J-8

🙂
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,
Thanks for posting the you tube link of Jeff and Norm working together.
Two good people.
Ken

William

Quote from: William on December 29, 2020, 03:50:46 AM
Thanks all!  My buddy down the street is a welder, so I may just use some plate and weld casters to it and weld it to the cabinet or get some 5/8"s thread.

So the amazon casters just came in.  Seems like the most eloquent solution.

Very happy with the wheel material and build.  Installing tomorrow.

RichColvin

I have my Tormek T-8 on a Craftsman toolbox which is on casters.  I am finding that the box can move at times.  Have you seen the same?

Also, the toolbox is 37.5" tall which puts the Tormek a bit high for me (I am 5'-7" tall). 

For these reasons, I am considering removing the casters.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,
I purchased one of these on Stig's recommendation. Although installation wasn't especially easy, it works well ans doesn't increase height much.

Ken

https://boratool.com/blog/whats-new-at-bora-tool-arriving-now-released-last-month-coming-soon/