News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Supergrind 2000

Started by Angus Grant, December 30, 2020, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus Grant

I'm looking for some guidance. I've just bought a Supergrind 2000 On eBay for 130 Euros. I was extremely surprised by the pristine condition the machine was in. No visible sign of usage - ever!
Water bath and universal support were not with it but grinding and honing wheel were. 70 euros later I have her up and running. While I was waiting on the bits to arrive I did some spindle inspection and a bit of lubrication maintenance.
Now to the nub of the matter. The honing wheel appears to be made out of some form of polymer and is light grey in color. No sign that a leather strip has been bonded on at some point. Can any one shed some light on whether this sort of honing wheel was used by Tormek at some point and if so how it should've used?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Angus.

Your Tormek was a good find! The gray color honing wheel is actually the EC-240 Deburring Wheel. Tormek made these for a few years. It was only sold as an optional accessory. In fact, prior to the introduction of the deburring wheel, the leather honing wheel was held in place with a standard 12mm hex nut. When the interchangeable deburring wheel was introduced, Tormek also introduced the now standard plastic Quick Connect (another optional extra, now standard included equipment on the larger Tormeks. I have not actually seen or used a deburring wheel. I believe it was similar to the recently introduced CW-220 composite wheel. It is a more aggressive wheel than the leather honing wheel. Sometime when your wallet is too full, you might want to purchase a leather wheel and honing compound, however, by all means, hang on to your deburring wheel.

Be sure to register your Tormek online (tormek.com). The warranty has expired; however, registering allows you to access and download the latest online edition of the handbook. I loaded it onto my ipad and refer to it frequently. Used copies of the handbook are available. The edition you would want is the smaller yellow colored paperback. An author search with Torgny Jansson, the author and inventor of the Tormek, will find them. The early yellow edition is not common, but worth the hunt. The basic working text is mostly unchanged over the years; however, things like the EC-220 are not included in later editions.

Tormek has an excellent support staff. They are very helpful and have years of hands on experience with both vintage and newer Tormeks. Their email contact is (support@tormek.se).

Be sure to empty your water trough when not using your Tormek. Tormek switched to using stainless steel shafts in 2006. Keep your shaft dry and lube the bushings at least annually.

At some point you should purchase a TT-50 Truing Tool. Be sure to get the newer 2019 version. In fact, if you have the original ADV-50 truing tool, you should be able to reuse the diamond. In that case, you will want the TT-50U (Upgrade) version. Tormek sells these for customers who already have the diamond from an older truing tool.

My original Tormek is a T7 I purchased new in 2009. In hindsight, my tools would have been just as sharp if, like you, I had been fortunate enough to have found a nice SuperGrind. I'm not complaining.

Enjoy your SuperGrind!
Keep posting.

Ken

Angus Grant

Thanks Ken, very helpfull and informative. I started of with a cheap Tormek copy from Sheppach but I have over the last year or so acquired Tormek jigs, anglemaster and trueing tool. I am delighted to at long last have made the giant leap to a Tormek Machine. And yes I will register my machine