News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angle Setting Jig for the SVD-110

Started by router1969, November 17, 2020, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

router1969

Dear All, as a new owner and member please forgive me if this is a foolish question.
Does anyone know if there is an angle setting jig for the SVD-110 tool rest platform which would allow one to repeat the same angle for things such as scrappers, roughing gouges etc without having to resort to the sharpie method? I have seen that some are available for the Wolverine tool rest platform - I do not know whether they would work on the Tormek. Any help / advice would be very gratefully received.
Thanks, Richard

cbwx34

Quote from: router1969 on November 17, 2020, 12:40:22 PM
Dear All, as a new owner and member please forgive me if this is a foolish question.
Does anyone know if there is an angle setting jig for the SVD-110 tool rest platform which would allow one to repeat the same angle for things such as scrappers, roughing gouges etc without having to resort to the sharpie method? I have seen that some are available for the Wolverine tool rest platform - I do not know whether they would work on the Tormek. Any help / advice would be very gratefully received.
Thanks, Richard

Is the AngleMaster not an option? 

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

ega

You could also use the Setting Template that comes with the DBS-22 (or something like it).

jvh

Hello,

you can use modified "KenJigs" with stop at tool rest end. Right projection length gives you the exact grinding angle. More you can find HERE.

Disadvantage is that you need one for every angle and angle will vary with wheel diameter change (no problem with diamond or CBN wheels), but I can imagine design of the jig with compensation ring (similar as in AngleMaster) and with a slider which allows you to set more angles...

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on November 17, 2020, 06:13:35 PM
Hello,

you can use modified "KenJigs" with stop at tool rest end. Right projection length gives you the exact grinding angle. More you can find HERE.

Disadvantage is that you need one for every angle and angle will vary with wheel diameter change (no problem with diamond or CBN wheels), but I can imagine design of the jig with compensation ring (similar as in AngleMaster) and with a slider which allows you to set more angles...

jvh

I just use a caliper or combination square = adjustable kenjig.  ;)

router1969

Hi thank you for your replies. I find the Anglemaster quite clumsy to use and not easy to get an accurate repeatable result, partly because of the ribbed surface of the platform.
I have looked but I cannot seem to find find a picture of the Kenjig.
I will try the combination square.
Some other sharpening systems have pre-sets of the most commonly used angles for their tool rest which then provide easily repeatable angles, such as the Sorby ProEdge or Ken Riza's Kodiak. I suppose I was hoping for something that simple.
It seems a shame when other aspects of the Tormek system are so well designed and so easy to use to repeat angles.
Richard

Dutchman

Quote from: router1969 on November 17, 2020, 11:16:29 PM
I was hoping for something that simple.
It seems a shame when other aspects of the Tormek system are so well designed and so easy to use to repeat angles.
I also had the same problem with the anglemaster and solved it with some mathematics.
My system is based on a fixed setting of the USB and fixed setting of the projection distance. With a fixed sharpening angle, a different setting of the USB will only be necessary in rare cases. The required setting of the projection distance for the chosen sharpening angle can be adjusted for each blade with the adjustable stop of the jig.
The links to the original documents can be found below in my 'signature'.

cbwx34

Quote from: Dutchman on November 18, 2020, 10:26:49 AM
I also had the same problem with the anglemaster and solved it with some mathematics.
My system is based on a fixed setting of the USB and fixed setting of the projection distance. With a fixed sharpening angle, a different setting of the USB will only be necessary in rare cases. The required setting of the projection distance for the chosen sharpening angle can be adjusted for each blade with the adjustable stop of the jig.
The links to the original documents can be found below in my 'signature'.

For the SVD-110?   ???

Ken S

Richard,
The method CB shows using the Anglemaster (WM-200) is one of the situations where I wish the rotating bearing surface was longer instead of tapering in. However, this situation can be much improved by using bright task lighting such as an LED light. (Good to have all of the time)

On the DVD in the Turner's Information Box, Jeff Farris shows a novel idea for setting the SVD-110. Jeff used it primarily for scrapers. He left the SVD-110 permanently attached to a spare support bar. For a turner frequently sharpening scrapers, it is a real time saver.

Here is a link to a very good sharpening video I found. Doug Thompson, the presenter, does not use Tormek; however, his knowledge is first-rate and the tools he makes are second to none.

https://youtu.be/ttYyulsM7wg

More thoughts later this week.

Ken

jvh

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 17, 2020, 07:43:34 PM
I just use a caliper or combination square = adjustable kenjig.  ;)

Hello,

so do I, calculation + caliper is universal method. ;)
But the question was about angle setting jig for the SVD-110 tool rest platform. That's why I suggested modified "Kenjig" with it's limitations. What I forgot to mention is that it works for fixed USB height(s) only.

There is a simple concept with wooden block and sliding bar with marks corresponding to the desired grinding angle. The wooden block must lie over the entire surface on the tool rest, sliding bar protrusion gives you exact angle in the moment it touches the stone. I emphasize again that the USB height is fixed in this case...

jvh

jvh

Sorry, I sended it twice accidentally.

Dutchman

Quote from: jvh on November 19, 2020, 08:41:16 PM
• wooden block and sliding bar with marks corresponding to the desired grinding angle.
• the USB height is fixed in this case...
And USB-height is adapted if stone diameter changes?

cbwx34

Hey Ton!

You finally made it! 🤣

🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳

jvh

Quote from: Dutchman on November 20, 2020, 09:44:50 AM
• wooden block and sliding bar with marks corresponding to the desired grinding angle.
• the USB height is fixed in this case...
And USB-height is adapted if stone diameter changes?

No. You have to recalculate height. It similar as with Kenjig.

That's why I suggested modified "Kenjig" with it's limitations.
Quote from: jvh on November 17, 2020, 06:13:35 PM

What can be probably added to these kind of jigs is diameter compensation similar as in AngleMaster. I don't work on suitable design / needed curve, because I use TormekCalc2 + caliper for setting and its calculation is always right. As I wrote before - this is a concept only. Actually it isn't real jig, only removable support which I use for other purposes...  ;)

jvh