News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Tormek SuperGrind 2000 owner with questions before I get started

Started by toolcollector, November 02, 2020, 04:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolcollector

Let me say that I have always lusted after a Tormek since seeing one 25+ years ago at a woodworking show.  This weekend the sharpening gods finally smiled down on me and I was able to purchase a unit at a local auction for a price I am very happy with.  I will say other than making sure the motor runs I haven't used the unit yet but plan on practicing on some general use chisels tonight.

Here is the unit I bought.  I believe it needs a new stone as the current one is less than 190 mm (7-1/2") in diameter.  Before I order a new stone I have some questions about other accessories that I need.

The unit did not come with a stone grader so I was going to get one when I buy a new stone.  I'm thinking the SG-250 will fit my needs for the type of tools I'll be sharpening.  There are a couple of items I can't seem to find in web searches.  I'm sure this item is for truing the wheel and has been replaced with a newer version (TOR-TT50).

I also can't figure out what this item is for based on failed searches.

Last question for now is my unit came with two mounting units (vertical and horizontal).  There is an upgrade kit that I was looking at which includes a newer style horizontal base (XB-100).  Did some of the SuperGrind 2000's not come with the horizontal base?  I'm thinking I'd be wasting my money by buying the whole kit as I really would only need the grindstone and all the other items would just be nice-to-haves.

Let me know your thoughts on things I will want to check out or watch-outs as I get started sharpening everything in my shop.

Thanks,
Wes

toolcollector

Sorry as I can't seem to figure out how to add pictures to my post.  I'll try to do that but if anyone has the instructions for doing this on this forum please let me know.  I realize it'll be tough to answer many of my questions without the pictures.

cbwx34

Quote from: toolcollector on November 02, 2020, 04:35:54 PM
The unit did not come with a stone grader so I was going to get one when I buy a new stone.  I'm thinking the SG-250 will fit my needs for the type of tools I'll be sharpening.  There are a couple of items I can't seem to find in web searches.  I'm sure this item is for truing the wheel and has been replaced with a newer version (TOR-TT50).

I also can't figure out what this item is for based on failed searches.

Last question for now is my unit came with two mounting units (vertical and horizontal).  There is an upgrade kit that I was looking at which includes a newer style horizontal base (XB-100).  Did some of the SuperGrind 2000's not come with the horizontal base?  I'm thinking I'd be wasting my money by buying the whole kit as I really would only need the grindstone and all the other items would just be nice-to-haves.

Let me know your thoughts on things I will want to check out or watch-outs as I get started sharpening everything in my shop.

Thanks,
Wes

Search for Tormek TT-50 and you'll find the truing tool...

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/accessories/other-accessories/tt-50-truing-tool/

And yes, some of the older Tormeks came without the horizontal base... so if you have one, no need for the XB-100.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: toolcollector on November 02, 2020, 04:37:50 PM
Sorry as I can't seem to figure out how to add pictures to my post.  I'll try to do that but if anyone has the instructions for doing this on this forum please let me know.  I realize it'll be tough to answer many of my questions without the pictures.

To add a photo, just click on "Attachments" below the reply, and add the photo file.  Note the restrictions... under 256KB is the biggie.... I usually "rescale" my photo in another app until it meets this requirement.

toolcollector

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, toolcollector. Nice find.
I agree, you should replace your SG-250 grinding wheel and your stone grader. The SG is probably the only grinding wheel you need.
I would recommend purchasing a TT-50 truing tool. Make sure you get the improved 2019 version; it really is improved.
Your call on the newer horizontal mount. It is not that expensive; however, I would try using your present mount. You can always switch later.
Be sure to register your Tormek on the website. The warranty has expired; however registering allows you to access and download the latest online version of the handbook.
Keep us posted.
Ken

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

toolcollector

Quote from: RichColvin on November 02, 2020, 08:14:47 PM
What tools are you planning to sharpen?

I do woodworking and mainly flat work so chisels and plane irons.  I also have a lathe but don't use it that often but will definitely touch up my lathe chisels once I get used to running it.  I also plan on sharpening all kitchen knives when I have time.

It came with most of the jigs I'll need for what I plan on sharpening.

• Square edge jig (whatever model predated SE77)
  • Long knife jig (TOR-SVM140)
  • Gouge jig (TOR-185)
  • Tool rest (TOR-SVD110)

Other than the new stone, a grading stone, and possibly the newer style truing tool, I don't foresee needing anything additional to this collection.

I would be interested to know if people on this forum feel the new truing tool is worth $93 considering I have the older version.

cbwx34

Quote from: toolcollector on November 02, 2020, 08:40:52 PM
I would be interested to know if people on this forum feel the new truing tool is worth $93 considering I have the older version.

Depends on which version you mean by older.  Here's a picture...

... if you have the one on the far left (oldest), it's worth the upgrade.  If you have the middle version... it will work just fine.

BTW, if you have an older version and want to upgrade, you can save a few dollars by getting the "TT-50U"...it comes without the diamond insert... you can use the older version.  Here's a link with info...

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/collections/tormek-accessories/products/tormek-tt-50-diamond-truing-tool-without-diamond

... Advanced Machinery is a good place to purchase from.

RichColvin

For what you referenced, the square edge jig (SVH-60) was replaced by the SE-77.  The SE-77 is a nice investment if you want to camber your your plane blades.  That said, I still use my SVH-60 at times.  I find that it works well for shorter chisels.

The gouge jig you have (SVD-185) was replaced by the SVD-186 (and now the SVD-186R), and that is a very worthwhile investment for wood turning and wood carving tools.  This was probably the best improvement in jigs.

The rest are still worthwhile.  No need to upgrade though the SVM-45 is a good jig.

And, I must tell you that the TT-50 is a great upgrade from the older ADV-50D (the one on the left in CB's picture, above) for truing your stone.  I was happy that Ken took that away from me, never to be seen again!

By the way, I also have a SuperGrind 2000.  It is >15 yrs old and still going strong!  You made a great investment.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

toolcollector

Thanks for the tremendous help by everyone here.  I do indeed have the ADV-50D truing tool and will most likely order the new version when I order my stone.

I played around with the machine last night, cleaning it all up and making sure there was nothing broken I originally missed.  The good news is everything was in very good shape and the nut/wheel came off with very little signs of corrosion.  I did learn that the stone is way too worn to be used.  I couldn't get the water high enough in the trough to make contact with the stone and the stone has a pretty good taper versus the steady rest so I guess I'll have to wait to play around with some of my cheaper tools.

I think I'll start by ordering a SG-250 wheel, stone grader, and truing tool.  Based on all the input it sounds like these three items is all I'll need for a while.  Then if I find a need I'll look into adding attachments or upgrading some of the one's I've got.

Thanks again for the help on this forum.  Glad I found this place and I hope to be at a point where I can contribute to this forum in the future.

Wes

John_B

Wesley,

While waiting for your new wheel I would suggest watching the videos Tormek has been producing over the last months. Choose ones that apply to your immediate sharpening needs. Following their guidance will get you started and they also give many tips learned over the years.

Here is a link to the series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGpQjduHna4DOfmVeoXe0J9J9dEEqU0UN
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

ega

Quote from: toolcollector on November 03, 2020, 02:59:29 PM
The good news is everything was in very good shape and the nut/wheel came off with very little signs of corrosion.

Good news indeed as the older Tormeks came with a plated spindle which was prone to rust. Tormek offer a stainless replacement (MSK-250) with the excellent EzyLock nut.

Ken S

If your shaft is in good condition and if you primarily use one grinding wheel, you can get along quite happily with an original regular steel shaft. Make sure you don't leave your grinding wheel in water between sharpening sessions and be sure to regrease your nylon bushings at least annually, inspecting your shaft at the same time.

Ken