News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Organizer for Volume Knife Sharpening

Started by BeSharp, September 13, 2020, 04:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSharp

I received a sharpening order with 11 knives (two cooks who got married!). Attaching knife jigs takes up a lot of table space. I pulled out my pliers organizers from my toolbox drawer to reduce the table sprawl.

The pictures speak for themselves; they work great! There are a few on the market; these are made by Ernst Manufacturing (www.ernstmfg.com), under "Plier Organizer". Apparently they just released a version in hi-visibility yellow! Retail is $15 USD.

I like the Ernst for a number of reasons:

1) The slots are wide enough for a SVM-45 to fit vertically.
2) Rubber feet prevents it from moving around.
3) Top of the base is also rubber coated, protecting knife edges.

I place all knives on one end; then, after a step (grinding, deburring, cleaning edge with odourless mineral spirits, etc) I then start racking them on the other end. I find that if I get interrupted (phone rings) it helps me remember which knives I have performed a certain step, and which knives still need to do that step.

I will be taking them tomorrow to my farmer's market booth.

Ken S

Naf

photos remind me of sharing these 2...

Couple of these great for dealing with small knives on 4' folding table in living room on couch (watching movies) with K03/EPP/KME between them. (System Sitting on Tormek RM-533 of course) (Wife say no to any Tormek grinder in living room. Ugh) Think one on left holding next up, one on right holding just did/didn't have to, finish all, switch to next stone, swap them with knives inserted, repeat until through all stones/ knives, all done. Not without its faults... but still love these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721TPPZY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_94Q1DQ7HG33VVA9NZZH1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For non- living room use, try couple of these much larger but more modifiable ones on shop bench for Tormek... love these much more!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0FW5N6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_2N5D4JVXZP78Q9XF6GC2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My current dream setup (halfway there) ... 4 of those with a T8 sitting between each organizer, one on left for SB (or diamond, suppose)  wheel, one in middle dedicated standard wheel graded fine as possible (always), one on right dedicated SJ (obviously). Not sure which one put dedicated composite honing wheel on. Maybe need fourth Tormek for that. Not sure which one but think KenS want me at least try a standard honing wheel at some point.

Anyway, on those organizers, I'm thinking of having buddy widen the long slots for at least hold 1/4" thick knives. For me, I can do without the front flat part that help in kitchen drawer, think this,  but can simply have that trimmed off, or consider it protected workbench space, I guess. They simply awesome!

Anyway have come to love those and wanted share like BeSharp and glad he did... might have get a couple of those.

That said, want ask, cause want understand,  why so many of same jig... I'm guessing optimize process for efficient most time,  but please explain... would love fully understand.

May be due you being commercial. I not. But as outdoorsman, have always had many very sharp "tools" around and my sons have only multiplied that in last few years. One brought me set of old Farberware knives other day, 12 total, all serrated, 8 micro-serrated steak knives in terrible/ dangerous shape, son said guy said wanted all serrations removed except from one bread knife... seemed like decent challenge as had never removed serrations before...

Anyway, that why wasn't want understand why so many same jig... might benefit me do this... even though I not commercial. Even with 6' benches in U for sharpening, run out of space for everything in hurry, then bunches very sharp "tools" gets scary in hurry, that why organizers, that why want understand. Hell got even have dry space for tablet so can try download/  understand/ use all these software. Thinking need switch to dedicated pc with large display on articulating arm connected back of one bench (different bench than articulating arm LED/magnifier. ) Might start looking like some twisted science lab.  But I always refuse fear new things / technology. In this case, simply must embrace it. Even though not sharpening newbie, must run fast learning some of maybe decades Tormek usage... not 20 anymore... want experience this / have this knowledge. Man got bad off track... sorry... I very atypical... try these organizers I try yours. Again, pleas explain so many same jig.
Thank you.

BeSharp

That's because for farmers market I learned it was important to be right at the front to interact with people. The booth is 10' wide. I have a 4' table, so that leaves room for only two Tormeks - one with an 80 or 160 grit wheel(farmers market knives tend to be REALLY dull) and the second Tormek with a 400 or 1000 grit. That's why so many clamps - to minimize wheel changes.

Back in the shop, the 80 / 160 / 400 / 1000 grit wheels each have their own machine, so then I clamp and sharpen one knife at a time.

Naf

That really help give perspectives I'll never get experience.  Thank you for that explanation.