News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Good quality honingsteel

Started by MrSwede, September 08, 2020, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSwede

Hello. I'm so fed up with my ceramic honingrod that ruins my edges so I'm looking for a good steelrod. So I wonder what you guys use for daily/weekly maintenance? I'm not looking for a honingsteel that looks flashy, I'm after one that has good steel and good function.

GeoBoy

I use a Lamson 10" Premier honing steel.

cbwx34

Quote from: MrSwede on September 08, 2020, 08:31:43 PM
Hello. I'm so fed up with my ceramic honingrod that ruins my edges so I'm looking for a good steelrod. So I wonder what you guys use for daily/weekly maintenance? I'm not looking for a honingsteel that looks flashy, I'm after one that has good steel and good function.

Can I ask why your ceramic rod is "ruining" your edges?  I use one, and think it's great, especially for kitchen knives.

Ceramic rods can't be used like a regular steel, since it removes metal.  I use one to maintain the edge by making one or two alternating strokes, with VERY LIGHT pressure, at an angle just enough to touch the edge. 

I'll often determine the angle by slowly moving the knife down the steel, starting at a low angle and slowly rotating the knife... I can hear and feel when I'm at the edge, I'll back off just a hair and use that angle.

Again, one or two alternating strokes, very light pressure, controlled angle, then check the edge.  Also, a decent ceramic rod (I like Idahone Fine)... not a cheap one.

I think they work better than a steel rod... my .02 :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Like CB, I use and like a ceramic rod. I use a Worksharp Culinary M3. The rod comes with three options: a diamond rod, which I almost never use; and a ceramic rod with smooth and grooved surfaces. I hardly ever use the grooved surface, but I really like the smooth surfaces. The handle includes triangular honing angle guides, a nice touch.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Culinary-M3-Sharpener/dp/B074JHRZ9B

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 09, 2020, 01:35:33 AM
Like CB, I use and like a ceramic rod. I use a Worksharp Culinary M3. The rod comes with three options: a diamond rod, which I almost never use; and a ceramic rod with smooth and grooved surfaces. I hardly ever use the grooved surface, but I really like the smooth surfaces. The handle includes triangular honing angle guides, a nice touch.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Culinary-M3-Sharpener/dp/B074JHRZ9B

Ken

Good choice also.

Microforged a blade yet?  Works rather well... especially on kitchen knives of "average" quality.

Sharpco

How about Spyderco Gauntlet?
I have Spyderco sharpmaker, but will order Gauntlet soon.

MrSwede

I have a Mac ceramic honingrod, that's a good one, but it's the grinding part I don't like with the ceramic rod. When I look at the edge through my USB-microscope after honing the edge dosen't look good. So I thought that I should try a honing steel that just straightens the edge up. That's the reason I wonder what steel-rods people use.

Tullamann

When my kitchen knifes does not perform as I wish, then I first try a leather strop.
If the edge is not OK after stopping then I use the F. Dick polished steel, Item No.74691250R
https://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-chefs-and-butchers/products/for-butchers-chefs-and-households

If that does not bring back the edge then I sometimes try a cutting steel or do a quick sharpening on the Tormek.

TM

cbwx34

Quote from: MrSwede on September 09, 2020, 01:25:44 PM
I have a Mac ceramic honingrod, that's a good one, but it's the grinding part I don't like with the ceramic rod. When I look at the edge through my USB-microscope after honing the edge dosen't look good. So I thought that I should try a honing steel that just straightens the edge up. That's the reason I wonder what steel-rods people use.

That sounds to me like overuse of the ceramic... they require very little to refresh an edge.

I got rid of my USB scope, or I'd take a picture, but under a pocket scope, the result from the ceramic is hardly visible... basically looks like a microbevel.  Even more important though is how it cuts...

Quote from: Sharpco on September 09, 2020, 01:14:05 PM
How about Spyderco Gauntlet?
I have Spyderco sharpmaker, but will order Gauntlet soon.

I'm curious why?  From what I've read, the Gauntlet is a "dumb down" version of the Sharpmaker.  (Plus, I think you're skill level means you don't need one). :)