News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just Got A T-4 and a 1x30 Belt Sander, Advice Needed

Started by jasonstone20, September 01, 2020, 06:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: jasonstone20 on November 01, 2020, 05:51:34 PM
I think you are right.  Originally, when I was getting mirror edges, I graded the stone on the coarse side, sharpened, then graded the stone to the fine side, sharpened, and then honed.  Now I am just leaving the stone graded fine, and using it, then going to the honing wheel.  This lead to the 'no mirror edge' thing I think.

The stone, even though left graded fine... occasionally needs to be "touched up" to stay that way.  (Probably why you were getting better results before, you were dressing it more often).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jasonstone20

jasonstone20

Ok, I got pretty close to a mirror edge, more like a satin mirror edge, I think I could have gotten a shiner bevel, but I wasn't trying for a mirror edge, I just was going for sharp.  Before, I was also grinding edge trailing, now I am edge leading.  I would have gotten a true mirror if I was using the Tormek edge trailing.  I got the edge to shave above the skin, push cut phone book paper 1/2" away from the point of hold, and it would sever a head hair completely in both directions.  What I did was using edge leading, graded the stone Coarse, sharpened to a small burr, graded the stone to Fine, reduced the burr, then I removed the sharpening stone, put the spacer that it ships with on the axle, then used guide bar in the edge trailing position and use the sharpie to match the angel on the leather honing wheel.

jasonstone20

I resharpened again with edge trailing, just to see the difference, and that gave me a mirror edge.

jasonstone20

I also have been running some very low angles, which gives me a very wide bevel, and even though it is shiny, I still get striations showing.

BeSharp

Ken S

Quote from: jasonstone20 on November 26, 2020, 03:37:48 AM
I also have been running some very low angles, which gives me a very wide bevel, and even though it is shiny, I still get striations showing.

Jason, you have too many variables. Return to the way you were working when you were getting your best edges. Do not change anything until you can get those edges consistently over a longer time period. Extra gear and grinding wheels will not improve your sharpening; skill from experience will. Switching to a T8 certainly will not be a magic bullet. Your SG-200 has served you well, and will continue to do so.

If you have not already purchased one, I would recommend you get a TT-50 truing tool, preferably the newer 2019 version. It is essential.

If you do not already have them, pick up a couple knives of the kind and quality of what you are sharpening as practice tools.

Keep us posted.

Ken

jasonstone20

Ken,
Thank you, I will go back to the basics and simplify my sharpening method.  I can get sharp edges, that isn't the issue.  I am wanting to get them cosmetically nicer.

John_B

Quote from: jasonstone20 on November 01, 2020, 05:51:34 PM
Quote from: Ken S on September 02, 2020, 09:39:01 PM
Quote from: jasonstone20 on September 02, 2020, 07:47:28 PM
Ok, I will give it a try.  When the T4 was new, I was able to get a mirror edge, but I haven't been able to do that recently.

That sounds like a technique problem rather than an equipment problem. It also sounds like something not related to which Tormek model you are using.

I would suggest serious study (meaning multiple careful watchings) of the Tormek online knife sharpening class and focused sharpening. Don't hesitate to post questions.

Ken

I think you are right.  Originally, when I was getting mirror edges, I graded the stone on the coarse side, sharpened, then graded the stone to the fine side, sharpened, and then honed.  Now I am just leaving the stone graded fine, and using it, then going to the honing wheel.  This lead to the 'no mirror edge' thing I think.

If you sharpen with the stone graded "fine" for a number of knives it will no longer be truly fine. The stone will settle into a spot that is more towards a middle ground maybe on the fine side of middle. I often use this spot to sharpen knives that I have worked on before that do not need as much metal removed to sharpen. After using this setting I will always use the grading stone to get an even finer SG-250.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jasonstone20

Ken,
I will try and take some pictures of the results I had, and what I am getting now, maybe that will help figure things out a little.

John_B

Jason there is a class on Wednesday for the T-4 by Tormek you might enjoy. It is at 0830 CT in US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eCDSZ2PHU0&fbclid=IwAR1LgBc3erl8bDpvqiz5AECZr21JuQu8tkZRG9RHviuUnE2fcgpu2SzB-Vw
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jasonstone20

jasonstone20

Here are some pictures I took:

Early Torkmek mirror edges:

Later Tormek mirror edge:

Fixed System mirror edge:

jasonstone20

I watched the T-4 Bushcraft video, and that is how I use the machine:
https://youtu.be/NXYBimqrGAE

jasonstone20

Here is a knife that is thin behind the edge and has a thinner bevel, and it has a mirror edge from the T-4: