News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Anti corrosion water?

Started by Paul.J, August 28, 2020, 04:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.J

Now i've got the fine diamond wheel, which i haven't used yet, i can't find any info about how often the water should be changed with the AC liquid in.
Is it best to throw away and renew or top up as i go along and then do a clean out after a longer period of time?
Also i still want to use the stone wheel i have so was thinking of getting another water trough just to use the stone wheel with save throwing the diamond AC mixed water away??

Ken S

Paul,
You need the Diamond Wheel accessory Pack, $450.

Just kidding......... A few inexpensive items will make your life simpler and less frustrating.

1) A graduated kitchen measuring cup, preferably with metric measurements. You only need this once and you can probably borrow this from your kitchen.

2) an infant medicine graduate/ spoon. These are graduated in 1ml increments to around 10ml. Your pharmacy or grocery store (baby department) will have these for just a couple dollars.

3)A turkey baster from your grocery or kitchen store. This should cost around five dollars US. I put a label saying Tormek on mine to keep it from kitchen service.

4) A few plastic jars. I use recycled lidded peanut butter jars. I also use plastic graduates left over from my photo darkroom, although the peanut butter jars work fine.

Diamond wheels, unlike the Original wheels, do not absorb water. Therefore, measuring the correct amount of water is easy. The round bottom T8 water trough is very "fuel efficient". Measure 125ml of water. Pour it into one of your plastic jars and mark the level. A triangle shaped piece of vinyl tape also works very well for this. Test the 125ml of water. It should just allow the water to start flowing over your diamond wheel. (If you are using a pre T8 Tormek, start with 225ml of water. Add one ml of ACC to each

BradGE

Hi Paul,

Regarding measuring, I have a jar that holds 250 mL that I've labelled up, and a small plastic cup that I marked with a 10mL line.  When I need more ACC I simply fill up the jar with tap water, fill the plastic cup to the line and combine the two...

For recovering ACC, I find if I pour from the inside corner of the plastic trough it is very reliable.  I've never spilled a drop (until the next time I try, now that I've said that out loud ;).  When I finish sharpening I pour my diluted ACC back into the jar (sediment and all), and next time I sharpen I decant the clear solution off the top, leaving the sludge in the jar. 

I replace my diluted ACC either when there is too much sludge in the jar, or if I've left it too long (usually 2+ days without use) it develops a film on top (see photo where the film is just starting).  There is probably some antimicrobial agent that could be added to prolong the life of the diluted ACC, but I've not looked into that yet...   

I do find I lose ACC over time - it's not a perfect recovery... As I draw the knife across the top of the Tormek some lands on the housing and doesn't go back into the tray, and also when changing diamond wheels.  I'm too impatient to wait for all the solution to drip off the stones...

Ken S

Sorry, I was interrupted. Brad and I are basically in synch. I like my old photo graduates, because I happen to still have them. Glass bottles will work just as well.

I have not experienced muddy trough water with the diamond wheels and ACC. Unlike the Original wheels, the diamond wheels don't "shed". And, the magnet does a good job of trapping the metal grindings.

One of the comments made during the last online class was the need for a future class dedicated to the diamond wheels. I could not agree more.

I feel too much has been made about the cost of ACC. A set of three diamond wheels plus the MB-100 represents an investment of approximately $1000 US. Several supersteel knives can easily reach that cost. It seems petty to me to complain about the cost of ACC if one can afford to invest in the wheels and supersteel knives.

Paul, you will be soon using your new diamond wheel like an old hand. One important bit of advice too easily overlooked is to use very light pressure and let the diamonds do the cutting.

Ken

Drilon

Paul,

using heavily boiled water (of course cooled down) may avoid the muddy water for a longer period of time.

Drilon

Ken S

I think the best way to keep the water clean is to change it when one changes grinding wheels. Your stone wheel is the wheel which will make your water cloudy, especially when you true it. Your stone wheel works fine with plain water, no need to worry about ACC cost. I would use the turkey baster to remove most of the water and then wipe out the trough with a paper towel. (This will prevent clogging your drain pipes.) A quick rinse of the trough, and you are perfectly clean.

You can remove and reuse the ACC water.

Ken

jasonstone20

Has anyone tried baking soda in the water to prevent mold and rust?  I have heard it is supposed to work well.

cbwx34

Quote from: jasonstone20 on September 01, 2020, 06:02:34 AM
Has anyone tried baking soda in the water to prevent mold and rust?  I have heard it is supposed to work well.

I tried baking soda + water mixture on a piece of plain steel, and it did inhibit rusting, but I never followed up and tested it on a wheel, and no idea what a proper mixture would be.

I also wonder if, since it seems to work, why isn't it talked about more, or "advertised" by the manufacturer (since they seem to advertise every other use)?

Anyway... seemed to work, but I'm not brave enough to say... go for it, no problem.  :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

Has anyone tried mixing this in the correct proportions to make the rust inhibitor?
It is Dodecanoic Acid whick is what the rust inhibitor is.

https://www.soapgoods.com/lauric-acid-p-879.html
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Even

If i have to choose a different solution than tormek acc, then I would have tried the coolant that is used on the lathe and milling machine etc.
This is often intended for use on high speed grinders that use diamond wheels.
It is also cheap as it is often mixed with water in 1:25 ratio. Personally, I only use clean tap water, and have never had problems with rust.

Paul.J

Thanks for the replies folks but i don't think my question has been answered, which is how long does the AC water mix last for before it needs changing/throwing away when using a diamond wheel.
Does it last indefinitely, or just be changed weekly, monthly?
Sorry if i didn't make it clear in my opening post ;D