News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My first stone/wheel (or two?)

Started by thisguysharpens, August 10, 2020, 05:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisguysharpens

Hello friends,

I am ready to get a T-8 custom, and I am looking for some advice.
80% of everything I run on my T-8 will be kitchen knives.
15% hunting knives and pocket knives.
5% scissors, shears, and axes

I don't have a budget to own every stone and accessory, but I do have enough to choose between one or two stones.
If I get one stone, I will get the basic SG-250, with the truing tool and the stone grader (obviously).

Here's the big question though!
If I am to get two stones, which two should I get for my needs (as stated above), and why do you feel that pair is the best combination?
(please feel free to share your opinions and wisdom regarding any other purchase options as well)

Thanks, guys

ps. here are a couple thoughts I have after all the videos I've seen online and the posts I've read here on the forum.

1. The diamond wheels are great for using the sides of the wheel and for being able to maintain the same wheel circumference, thus I wouldn't need to relocate my angle when changing between stones, but the diamond wheels (and maybe the blackstone silicon stone too) may be too aggressive for the steep angle required for scissors and shears.

2. The Japanese W.S. (4000 grit) seems highly recommended for a superior quality finish, but may be overkill for my uses.

3. Some people suggest a honing wheel isn't needed if you use the Japanese WS.

micha

Hi Jordan,
after one year with the Tormek and as an owner of several different grinding wheels (SJ, DF, DE, SB) I'd suggest the follwing:

Start with just the SG-250. It's a most versatile wheel, that will suit most, if not any of your needs. Learn to master that wheel and then you'll be able to tell if you need another wheel (and which).
Of course there may be other opinions, but I'm sure the SG-250 will be sufficient for any knife. Also, when starting, you're better off with a wheel that doesn't cut as aggressively as diamond wheel.
If you like a mirror-polished edge on your knives, you might want the Japanese stone, but it's not at all necessary to get them sharp, that's just a matter of appearance and preference.

Have fun and a good time with your upcoming T-8, I'm sure you'll like it.
Mike

cbwx34

Quote from: thisguysharpens on August 10, 2020, 05:56:25 PM
Hello friends,

I am ready to get a T-8 custom, and I am looking for some advice.
80% of everything I run on my T-8 will be kitchen knives.
15% hunting knives and pocket knives.
5% scissors, shears, and axes

Based on this, I think the SG wheel will do just fine.  I wouldn't get any other wheel at this point, unless you have a specific need.

Also, you mention "T-8 custom"... it's actually cheaper to get a basic Tormek that comes with the SG stone, leather wheel, etc., vs. buying each part separately.  The "custom" as someone pointed out, may be geared for someone who has most of the items already, and needs a second machine, but doesn't need to duplicate what they already have.  (So price out both options).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I agree with Mike and CB. Go with the standard issue T8.

Ken

jeffs55

IMHO the Japanese stone is unnecessary for your needs and is overkill and is not necessary if you have a honing wheel.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jordan,

There is something I think we all believe, which should be directly stated. No matter what you end up sharpening, there is value in learning how to use the basic Tormek with the SG-250, stone grader, and leather honing wheel. Spend some time learning the craft. You may decide the basic standard Tormek, with a couple jigs, may be all you ever need. Or, you may decide you want to go on a different path. Once you learn the basics, you will be able to base your decisions on your own experience. Of course, we will still be here if you want second opinions.

Ken

John_B

Jordon

Here are some great training videos that Tormek produced this year. In video #3 they give their thoughts on the wheels they sell.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGpQjduHna4DOfmVeoXe0J9J9dEEqU0UN

I would echo the thoughts of others and become proficient with the SG-250 and let your needs drive a decision on buying an additional stone(s).
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

thisguysharpens

Thank you all very much, gentlemen.

I will take your collective advice and go with the standard T-8 package and learn the craft.

Updates to follow.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts

John_B

Keep in touch as you sharpen using your T-8.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease