News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newly Arrived

Started by RJB2222, August 12, 2020, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJB2222

My T8 arrived yesterday. Thank you to Tomek and Big Bear Tools. Every thing I ordered was in the box properly packed. Fast delivery excellent buying experience. The set up was straight forward registration went very well. I sharpened a couple simple things. The sharpening went as expected and was very quick. Both items came out sharp and straight. I'm pumped!!!!

John_B

Glad to hear that it all went well.

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions as you progress with your Tormek.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

RJB,

I am pleased that you are having such good results with your new Tormek.

Your post brings back happy memories for me. Years ago we had an active member named Ionut. Ionut demonstrated the Tormek for Big Bear Tools. (Big Bear Tools is Tormek's agent for western Canada.) This was back in the days when none of us had reached the fifty posts mark. Ionut had some very innovative posts. He and I had a forum discussion about sharpening large ("pig sticker") mortising chisels with the SE-76 square edge jig. After much effort, we realized that the SE-76 just could not handle the thickness of the big mortise chisels. The long discontinued SVH-60 could handle the width. Thinking I might eventually purchase a couple larger mortising chisels, I wanted to purchase an SVH-60. These were nowhere to be found. Ionut advised me that Big Bear Tools had a couple left over in inventory.
I purchased one. The Big Bear team was friendly; the service was excellent. If I lived in Canada, I would gladly deal with them again.

Enjoy your new Tormek.

Ken

BeSharp

Another vote for Dave Street, owner of Big Bear Tools. I went there at the end of July to pick up a new T-8 (and save on shipping!). He gifted me two Tormek LED work lights (the one with the magnetic base). He told me they are Tormek's wholesaler for Canada (except for Lee Valley Tools, who deals directly with Tormek ). However, as Tormek's Canadian agent, he deals with Lee Valley's Tormek repairs and returns.

Very nice people and highly recommended!

Ken S

The Tormek magnetic lights are very nice, IF you use the right batteries. Most of the better AA batteries are too thick to work well in the battery chamber. They are very difficult to remove. The bargain series at Harbor Freight works. This is unfortunate. Except for this tragic flaw, the lights are well made and very useful.
To work with the T8, they require a steel plate for the magnet. A metal switch box cover can work.
I wish I knew enough to be able to rewire it to AC using a transformer.

Ken

PS Dick Street helped me. He is a nice guy.

RJB2222

Big Bear Tools helped me on this purchase. I called in after placing my order as I was not going to be home to receive delivery (some how work got in the way  :) ) They changed the delivery address to my job so the machine would not be left on the step. No argument all they asked was for a confirmation which was easy. I will deal with Big Bear Tools again.