News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I wish I had pulled the trigger earlier

Started by RLGL, January 10, 2022, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLGL

Many years ago I became aware of the Tormek system of sharpening. Since that time I have spent many $$$$ on different methods and tools. The results were okay but I knew that improvement was needed. I received a T4 unit 2 days ago and spent some time getting used to it. I then made an assault on my kitchen knives and was very please with the results. For what $$$ I spent in the past I could have easily saved a bunch by purchasing the unit years ago.

After some use, it became apparent a small modification would be in order. The screw needs to have a screwdriver slot to assist in snugging it during setup. My reason for the request is fat leathery fingers have a difficult time grasping it. I am considering adding one using a Dremel tool.

The only real complaint I have is the nameplate on the front of the machine was pulled off when removing the Angle Master. I can remedy the situation with some glue.

cbwx34

Quote from: RLGL on January 10, 2022, 05:41:22 PM

After some use, it became apparent a small modification would be in order. The screw needs to have a screwdriver slot to assist in snugging it during setup. My reason for the request is fat leathery fingers have a difficult time grasping it. I am considering adding one using a Dremel tool.

The only real complaint I have is the nameplate on the front of the machine was pulled off when removing the Angle Master. I can remedy the situation with some glue.

Congrats!

Actually you don't want to make that screw (on the knife jig) very tight... or the back screw won't lock the knife into place.  The knife should still move in the jig (but not be loose) until the back knob is tightened (that's what I do anyway).

I think the nameplate is a common problem.... superglue worked for me.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Dave,

That is an M6-1.0, 15mm long, flat-head screw.  You can get one similar to that from McMaster-Carr as p/n 92125A111, though that one has a hex drive.

McMaster-Carr has other options for screws like that one.  At 16 mm long, the options really open up, and there are options for using a flat-head or Phillips screw driver.  Also, consider looking at screws with an "oval" head vs. flat heads.  May be more appropriate for this use.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RLGL

Quote from: RichColvin on January 10, 2022, 07:30:09 PM
Dave,

That is an M6-1.0, 15mm long, flat-head screw.  You can get one similar to that from McMaster-Carr as p/n 92125A111, though that one has a hex drive.

McMaster-Carr has other options for screws like that one.  At 16 mm long, the options really open up, and there are options for using a flat-head or Phillips screw driver.  Also, consider looking at screws with an "oval" head vs. flat heads.  May be more appropriate for this use.

Rich

Thanks
D