News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T4 Japanese stone

Started by Alihussein8, July 08, 2020, 05:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alihussein8

Hello All!. i have a question about the SJ-200 i just received. what is the best way in identifying the bevel other than using a sharpie marker? the stone seems to be so fine that it takes a lot longer to clear the marker off of the bevel. an ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Ken S

I would suggest staying with the marker. One of our members, Rich Colvin, has suggested using a red marker. Either would work.

The official Tormek technique lags actual practice a bit. The SG and SJ are two different stones. The stone grader is designed to work with the SG. Try using an abrasive rubber eraser like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru-Medium-2-piece/dp/B00FS0BFJC

They clean the ground off metal quickly and gently. They are also very useful for general metal stain and beginning rust removal. Frequent touch up use will keep your SJ in tip top condition.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Alihussein8 on July 08, 2020, 05:37:04 PM
Hello All!. i have a question about the SJ-200 i just received. what is the best way in identifying the bevel other than using a sharpie marker? the stone seems to be so fine that it takes a lot longer to clear the marker off of the bevel. an ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

I would add, further analysis needed.

Sharpie is easily removed by the SJ wheel.  Here, I turned the wheel by hand, and in less than a couple of inches, enough Sharpie was removed to easily be seen.

So, my guess is, you're not matching the angle... making it take longer, and/or appearing it's not removing the Sharpie, but it's not that the SJ wheel doesn't do it. Try adjusting the angle a bit, and make short checks, turning the wheel by hand, and see if you see a different result.  (How do you set the angles?)

(Or, you have a bad a$$ Sharpie)...  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Nosetotail

I would consider comparing the wheel diameter of the grinding stone and the SJ stone. Theoretically, given that you have perfectly matched angles on both stones, if your grinding wheel has a smaller diameter than the SJ  stone, the concave will be more pronounced than the concave produced by the Japanese stone.  Then, given that the SJ stone removes miniscule amounts of metal, the stone may take just a little while longer to ground down the two high spots of the concave to match it's radius.