News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek with Norton 3x

Started by OneRogueWave, June 25, 2020, 01:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneRogueWave

I have been using my T8 with the DBS-22 and other miscellaneous sharpening on tools. I use the standard wheel and was looking into the SB or diamond wheels when I saw Ken S and another had experience with the Norton 3x. I had one for a different grinder so it wasn't hard to go that direction. Mounting it was an in house solution with my Taig micro lathe and some scavenged ABS and bronze bushings to mate with the 12mm shaft since the 2" O.D. x 1/2" I.D. would only get so far.  The Norton3x certainly leaves a coarser finish but my quest for a bit more aggressive grind without drawing temper makes the possibility of lathe bit grinding & reshaping more practical.

Ken S

Well done! I never used the 3X wheels with drill bits, however, they worked well reshaping turning tools.
My standard test for comparing grinding wheels is to put a standard metal lathe tool bit in the SE-77 jig set to 30°. Grind for five minutes. The 3X wheels were the champs, especially the 46 grit.

Please keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

Nice work.  I use the 46 grit Norton 3X grinding wheel frequently, even after having the coarse Tormek diamond wheel. The latter is not that aggressive, so the far more aggressive Norton 3x is a necessary and very welcome stone in my arsenal.  I use it for roughing many edges, followed by either sequence of 1) SB, SG or 2) DC, DF, DE wheels for grinding, followed by the SJ and 1µ diamond paste on a rock hard felt wheel for deburring/honing. 

I was disappointed with what I did with the bushing for the 80X wheel I got from Ken.  It is not stainless steel and so rusts, which makes the bore difficult to deal with.  But, somehow the bushing for the 46X is SS, so it works great. 

I believe this is a good, inexpensive option, which should be doable by anyone with a drill press or hand drill.  I think Ken drilled out a piece of PVC pipe to 12mm to make a bushing for his. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

My low tech solution was to use a short piece of schedule 80 plastic water pipe. The OD (outside diameter) is 5/8". The ID (inside diameter) is 7/16", which is too small to fit over the 12mm Tormek shaft. The correct way to enlarge this is with a lathe or a 12mm drill bit. Lacking these, I used a 31/64" bit and enlarged the hole slightly with my hand.

EDIT: I finally brokedown and purchased a standard jobber 12mm bit and a 12mm Forstner bit

The 5/8" OD slides into the smallest plastic reducing bushing provided with the wheel. (Woodturnerswonders sells a 5/8" to 12mm stainless steel reducing bushing. It works well, although the fit is a little loose for my taste.)

The other consideration is the one inch thickness of the wheels. In actual use, the thickness is not a problem,
however, they do require some spacers. 12mm bore fender washers work well. Place them between the frame and the grinding wheel.

D-Way makes really nice steel reducing bushings. The OD is 1", just like the 3X wheels. The same bushing works with either the T8 or T4. The 12mm ID is a nice fit for the Tormek shaft. Incidentally, they also make an interchangeable 5/8" reducing bushing, allowing the 3X wheel to be used with either a Tormek or a dry grinder. These bushings are reasonably priced, only $13. Unfortunately, they are not stainless and require anti corrosion fluid.

I spoke with a Norton rep several years ago. Norton will gladly make custom wheels. The only problem is the 500 minimum quantity. (This amount should not be a problem for either Tormek or a large dealer.)

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: OneRogueWave on June 25, 2020, 01:17:46 AM
  I have been using my T8 with the DBS-22 and other miscellaneous sharpening on tools. I use the standard wheel and was looking into the SB or diamond wheels when I saw Ken S and another had experience with the Norton 3x. I had one for a different grinder so it wasn't hard to go that direction. Mounting it was an in house solution with my Taig micro lathe and some scavenged ABS and bronze bushings to mate with the 12mm shaft since the 2" O.D. x 1/2" I.D. would only get so far.  The Norton3x certainly leaves a coarser finish but my quest for a bit more aggressive grind without drawing temper makes the possibility of lathe bit grinding & reshaping more practical.

I find the SB grindstone more than adequate for grinding the drill bits I sharpen.  And i go the opposite direction:  some get finally honed on the SJ grindstone.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on June 26, 2020, 04:28:08 AM
I find the SB grindstone more than adequate for grinding the drill bits I sharpen.  And i go the opposite direction:  some get finally honed on the SJ grindstone.

Kind regards,
Rich

Clarification. I also have so far only gone so far as to use the SB and SG stones with drill bits.  I have been intending to give the SJ wheel a go with drill bits, but have not had a need to sharpen any for a long time.  I had just gotten the diamond wheels when I last messed with drill bit sharpening and found the circumferential surface - the grinding surface to not be entirely flat.  The drill bits touched at the edges but not in the middle.  I stalled at that point, and since then have not needed to sharpen any. 

When I do any again, I will use the SJ wheel but have not and do not intend to do any honing/polishing with the rock hard felt wheel with 1µ diamond paste.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

It occurs to me that the 3X and, to a lesser extent, the SJ wheels to not fit the ancient Tormek "universal wheel" philosophy. Both areusefulfor their intended purposes; neither isa do everything wheel.

Ken

OneRogueWave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrxd6le8zd8rkeq/20200619_110055.jpg?dl=0
If this works, it's a pic of my mounted wheel, I tried really hard to get it at 148MB to load on the forum but dropbox might work. I have 3 SG wheels, 1 barely used, 1 worn but modified for large radii on a concave spoke shave and 1 worn down for drill bits work. I think I made an affordable choice, the 3x wheel + my lathe work adapter gives me a roughing grind when needed, the SG can give a good enough finish and the wheel diameters close enough. Big thanks to Ken

Ken S

Nice work! Enjoy your turbo charged Tormek with the 46 grit 3X wheel!

Ken