News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

No-maintenance honing wheel for T-8

Started by Cyrano, July 31, 2018, 05:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

The composite honing wheel which is shipped with the new T-2 system requires no honing compound, as the abrasive is integrated into the material of the wheel.

I'd love to have an effective honing wheel which requires no maintenance, but Tormek currently has no plans to offer such a product for the T-8.

If anyone else shares my desire for such a product, please tell Tormek at support@tormek.se. I'm hopeful that if enough Tormek enthusiasts express interest, such a product would be brought to market.

bisonbladesharpening

Would also save a lot of time cleaning the compound off when doing multiple knives

Lignarium

Tormek website offers this honing wheel for the T7, T8 and Tormek 2000.

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Vstrom USA

Does anyone have feedback on how well these work on the T4?

John_B

Ken is this the wheel that is used with the T-2?

Have you tried it?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,
It is a different wheel. The T2 wheel is used dry. The T2 wheel supposedly has abrasive embedded in the rubber.
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 04, 2020, 12:38:33 AM
John,
It is a different wheel. The T2 wheel is used dry. The T2 wheel supposedly has abrasive embedded in the rubber.
Ken

Both have abrasive (and look the same)... my bet it's the same wheel composition.  The "use water" is just a tip on the webpage.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Tool Junkie

So, the #CW-220 is available on the International Tormek site and is compatible with the T-8; however, it does not appear to be available in the USA market at this point.

There is a version for the kitchen knife sharpener T2 available from Sharpening Supplies for $79 (# TOR-PW160), but it states that it is not compatible with the T-8.

Ken S

My understanding is that the CW-220 is in transit by ship to the US. Once the container reaches the US, it must be divided and shipped throughout the dealer network. There is no plan to make it unavailable to the US market; shipping that amount of product is just a slow process, especially now.

The rubber honing wheel for the T2 also works with the T4. Using rubber instead of leather allows it to be tapered, allowing better clearance with the shorter length of the T2 and T4. It is designed to be used without honing compound, as part of the simplified operation philosophy of the T2. While this is practical for a chef, the rubber wheel does not produce the level of polish desired by sharpeners. While similar in function, the leather and rubber honing wheels are designed for different target markets.

Ken