News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Issues with square edge sharpening jig.

Started by Martinchr, April 11, 2020, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinchr

Hi everybody. I use a Tormek T-7. For some time now I have gotten some strange looking chisels, I have tried to trial and error and I can simply not figure out whats wrong. It seems like the right side on the iron is higher than the left after sharpening.
The arm that the jig rests on seems straight 90degrees. I obviously flattened the stone with the diamond flattening jig. So it should be parallel to the arm. Here is some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/O23WSER

Some time ago I had borrowed the tormek to some friends and ofc. they forget to take out the water container after use so it was left 4-5 days like that. Which is bad. So I am concerned the stone has become skewered. Atleast I can tell its not 90 degrees (I dont know if it ever was).
I dont let other people use it anymore unless I am there ;)

Thanks in advance, Martin

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Martin.

Your photo looks like the back of the chisel may not be quite parallel with the support bar. I suspect you are using the SE-76 jig. The SE-76 was a real improvement over the older SVH-60, which it replaced. One of the features of the the newer jig was a 75mm width capacity. The two locking screws are far apart, especislly for narrower chisels.

Forum founder, Jeff Farris, used to write often about the importance of balancing the tightness of the two locking screws. I don't remember his exact suggestions. Hopefullly other members will chime in.

Your photo is helpful. It looks like the side of your chisel with the deeper grinding is closer to the grinding wheel.

Ken

Dakotapix

Just a shot in the dark but I recall watching a Tormek video on the SE-77 jig (similar to the SE-76) and was surprised how little the demonstrator tightened the left hand knob on the jig. I've since tried to follow that practice and it has improved things for me. I do believe that over tightening that knob can cause the tool to sit a bit skewed in the jig, especially on narrow tools. I found the video by clicking on the Tormek site in the upper right corner of the main page here.

I've also learned the hard way to studiously pay attention to the sharpening process by adjusting the position of the tool in the jig, sometimes tapping it with a small hammer. Use a black marker on the edge to check your progress.

Ken S

Dakotapix

Lesson learned the hard way, Ken. Some years ago I found a Bedrock 608 plane at an antique store for $75, a very attractive price for that model. The blade didn't have much length left but I put it on my Tormek and promptly started the grinding only to find that I had badly skewed it at an angle. Not enough useable steel to fix it so I had to purchase a replacement cutter.

Ken S

Ouch! I feel your pain. A lesson learned hard, but well. My bench planes are a set of three 1909 vintage Bedrocks. I purchased them from the original owner in 1972.

For those of you who may not know, the Bedrock series was Stanley's top of the line. Lie-Nielsen based their bench planes on the Bedrocks.

Check for squareness often and early.

Ken

Martinchr

Thanks for your posts! It is indeed only a problem on narrow chisels. I will pay more attention.
My bench planes are grind perfectly square with this jig.