News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What is the best way to get rid of rust - badly pitted Knife

Started by matrezseller, June 11, 2020, 05:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrezseller

Am new at this.
I have a 2000.  Original wheel 250.

I purchased two rusted, badly pitted, Japanese knives to practice on.  The knives are carbon steel.
1.)  What is the best way to neutralize and get rid of rust?
2.)  What is the best way to get rid of the pits on the face of the knife?
3.)  Is there a, best in class, source of how to repair handles...make handles on a kitchen knife?
4.)  What is the best tape to use on the knife edge, so I do not cut myself, while working on the body of the knife?
5.)  Do I use mineral oil?, or linseed oil? to preserve the knife face surface?...and/or...the handle?
6.)  What are the best Tormek jigs to have to change the actual shape of the knife?  and to work on the above questions?

I what order do I purchase my next wheel?  Diamond 250? or Japanese 4000?
Am thinking Diamond 250 to clean up the faces of the knifes on the side of the wheel.  lol...I would like the Japanese wheel to get that great polish!
Thank-you in advance for your help, the sharing of your valuable experience, and opinions.
Best regards.
Kevin

cbwx34

Quote from: matrezseller on June 11, 2020, 05:44:47 PM
Am thinking Diamond 250 to clean up the faces of the knifes on the side of the wheel.  lol...I would like the Japanese wheel to get that great polish!
Thank-you in advance for your help, the sharing of your valuable experience, and opinions.
Best regards.
Kevin

Before purchasing this... you should consider looking into a belt sander and some "surface conditioning belts".... they do a great job of cleaning up knives... and probably for less $$ than the diamond wheel.  (I don't think diamond does it very well).   Or even some hand sanding can do the trick.

p.s.  You might post some pictures for help with your other questions...  "Japanese knives" is a broad category.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

An hour or a little more in a 50/50 white vinegar water solution will get some of it off. Progressively fine emery paper does a good job. If the pits are really deep you might want to leave them. These knives will develop a patina over time but washing and drying immediately after use will keep the rust at bay.

Blue painters tape works well.

Look on YouTube for scale and handle replacement and or refurbishing and replacement. Beautiful blanks can be purchased made from exotic wood.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease