News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting the AngleMaster on a Tapered Knife Surface...

Started by cbwx34, August 01, 2020, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Here's a reminder... why you shouldn't use the AngleMaster to set the sharpening angle on a knife, that has a significant angle/taper from the spine (or in this case middle of the knife) to the edge, without making some sort of adjustment for it... remember this?(What Angle was This Knife Sharpened At)...

... (also maybe a reminder to look where you're grinding?)

The sharpener stated he watched the Tormek Sharpening video, and set the knife according to their instructions...  ::)

There has to be a better way.  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB, there is a better way. For those who prefer to use the Anglemaster, see the first post and photo in this thread:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2639.0

Make a simple substitute target of metal or plastic. (A couple thicknesses of old gift card work fine.) Measure the Projection of the knife you want to sharpen. Remove the knife from the jig and place the substitute target set to the same Projection. You now have a large, flat measuring surface for the Anglemaster. Put the knife back in the jig to the same Projection and you are ready to go. No fuss, no muss.

Ken

PS if you lose the link, just go to the listing of the threads with the most replies. With more than 180 replies, this thread is our most replied thread.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 01, 2020, 09:08:30 PM
CB, there is a better way. For those who prefer to use the Anglemaster, see the first post and photo in this thread:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2639.0

Make a simple substitute target of metal or plastic. (A couple thicknesses of old gift card work fine.) Measure the Projection of the knife you want to sharpen. Remove the knife from the jig and place the substitute target set to the same Projection. You now have a large, flat measuring surface for the Anglemaster. Put the knife back in the jig to the same Projection and you are ready to go. No fuss, no muss.

Ken

Not what I was thinking <cough> calculator <cough>, but yeah, this'll work too.  ;)  ;D

Ken S

CB,

I agree with you.I consider the substitute target a step in the learning process. It allows a new user to be able to use an Anglemaster effectively with knives. Once learned, I believe most will want to move on to using Calcapp to setup a kenjig.     ;)

Ken

PS Kidding aside, I believe the combination of Calcapp and kenjig will provide the flexibility of Calcapp and the speed of the kenjig for repetitive work.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 04, 2020, 02:17:00 PM
CB,

I agree with you.I consider the substitute target a step in the learning process. It allows a new user to be able to use an Anglemaster effectively with knives. Once learned, I believe most will want to move on to using Calcapp to setup a kenjig.     ;)

Ken

PS Kidding aside, I believe the combination of Calcapp and kenjig will provide the flexibility of Calcapp and the speed of the kenjig for repetitive work.

My stance will continue to be... there's no reason to learn the Anglemaster first (for knife sharpening anyway)... ;)

But, you should try jvh's "AngleJig" setup... it's the ultimate in a "substitute target" setup! :D  :D

Ken S

If we go down that slippery slope, soon very few of us will know how to true up oil stones or read Latin.

I agree about JVH's Angle Jig being the ultimate substitute target.

Ken