News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel 'bobbing' on new tormek

Started by Paracelsus462, May 07, 2020, 02:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paracelsus462

Quote from: Ken S on May 07, 2020, 09:50:47 PM
I think we are missing the logical answer. While this discussion would certainly be useful with an older Super Grind, Paracelsus' T4 and grinding wheel are still under warranty. I would let Tormek support (or Tormek Inc  if you happen to live in the US) handle things. There is no charge, and, while most of us have actually encountered this once, if at all, support has dealt with problems like this regularly for many years.

Ken

That's great to hear! I'll let ya'll know once it gets figured out then

Ornias

Ken, I think trying to kill off a discussion multiple times is also not needed. You made your point about contacting support already, as did I and multiple other people.
There is not need to repeat yourself again.

Besides: there is no hurt in helping people to trouble shoot the issue before they contact support or while they wait for support to answer. (as long as the troubleshooting doesn't void any warranty!)
Often support even appreciates it if you have done thorough research into the issue yourself.

And even if it doesn't solve or clearup anything, at least some of us might learn something about our devices, isn't that a "always win" scenario? ;)
But yes: always contact support if something is under warranty.

On topic:
Your drivewheel seems fine. So worst case Tormek has to replace the leather honing-wheel and Stone.
But I personally find it very odd that your shaft is fine (otherwise the drive wheel would also bobble), but both your leather wheel and stone have either a low or a heighspot.
Are you sure there isn't just shipping damage? Is it from an actually Tormek associated seller, or just a random shop somewhere?
SuperGrind 2000 owner (restoring) - Maintainer of SharpCalc - Modification Enthousiast

Ken S

Ornias,
Your point is well taken.
Ken

Paracelsus462

Ok folks here's a video I think it's solved

Thanks for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMmB93DC38

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Paracelsus462

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 08, 2020, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: Paracelsus462 on May 08, 2020, 02:01:04 AM
Ok folks here's a video I think it's solved

Thanks for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMmB93DC38

Ah.  I think this might be similar...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4259.0

Ahhh, yep. I got my TT-50 new on amazon. I'll try the zip tie thing. If that isn't useful then I'll contact support as suggested here

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4001.0

RickKrung

Quote from: Paracelsus462 on May 08, 2020, 04:11:21 PM

Ahhh, yep. I got my TT-50 new on amazon. I'll try the zip tie thing. If that isn't useful then I'll contact support as suggested here

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4001.0

You may have to get creative to get the zip ties to stay on.  In the older version, there is a box/tunnel through which the ties have gone, capturing them so they don't slide off as the head traverses in different directions.  With the new version, that box has been replaced with a solid body.  Zip ties would have to go over the outside and I think will slide off as it traverses.  See images below.

I would try some "cross" ties.  First two ties around the frame and head on either side of the cutter.  - that is, if the there is room between the head body and the stone.  Then one or more ties between those two ties to keep them from sliding off.  Maybe one on the front, one on the back.  I do not have the new model, so cannot say for sure. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Paracelsus462

Quote from: RickKrung on May 08, 2020, 04:31:35 PM

You may have to get creative to get the zip ties to stay on.  In the older version, there is a box/tunnel through which the ties have gone, capturing them so they don't slide off as the head traverses in different directions.  With the new version, that box has been replaced with a solid body. 

Rick

I thought the point of a new version was solving the problem...

So I have the new TT-50 and it still has the problem, and moreover it can no longer be easily fixed?

RickKrung

Quote from: Paracelsus462 on May 08, 2020, 05:04:50 PM

You may have to get creative to get the zip ties to stay on.  In the older version, there is a box/tunnel through which the ties have gone, capturing them so they don't slide off as the head traverses in different directions.  With the new version, that box has been replaced with a solid body. 

Rick

I thought the point of a new version was solving the problem...

So I have the new TT-50 and it still has the problem, and moreover it can no longer be easily fixed?

You may have to get creative to get the zip ties to stay on.  In the older version, there is a box/tunnel through which the ties have gone, capturing them so they don't slide off as the head traverses in different directions.  With the new version, that box has been replaced with a solid body.  Zip ties would have to go over the outside and I think will slide off as it traverses.  See images below.

I would try some "cross" ties.  First two ties around the frame and head on either side of the cutter.  - that is, if the there is room between the head body and the stone.  Then one or more ties between those two ties to keep them from sliding off.  Maybe one on the front, one on the back.  I do not have the new model, so cannot say for sure. 

Rick

What!  You have failed to comprehend my full post/statement...   And failed to include the part of my post that explains how to fix the problem that you reported that you were still having with the new model. In that sense, you have misrepresented my comments.  What is the point of trying to help someone if they don't take in the full context? 

You are on your own as far as I'm concerned. 

And I will gladly take a reprimand from the moderator for the tone of my response.  Bring it on.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Paracelsus462

Quote from: RickKrung on May 08, 2020, 05:19:55 PM

What!  You have failed to comprehend my full post/statement...   And failed to include the part of my post that explains how to fix the problem that you reported that you were still having with the new model. In that sense, you have misrepresented my comments.  What is the point of trying to help someone if they don't take in the full context? 

You are on your own as far as I'm concerned. 

And I will gladly take a reprimand from the moderator for the tone of my response.  Bring it on.

Rick

It took me a few re reads to even understand what is going on here. Apparently you think I am conspiring to misrepresent you... there is no reason for hostility. If I remove some stuff while quoting it's because I'm trying to keep the thread legible for other readers following the conversation. I only quote pieces I am trying to directly respond to.

Here is my train of logic at this point-

1. There was an 'old' original style of TT-50, which had a design problem. The cutter could wiggle vertically. Some people used zip ties to resolve it.

2. Tormek modified the TT-50 with a new version, supposedly to solve the problem. Your post suggests that my solid body cutter means that I have this new version.

3. If all this is true, apparently the new design didn't fix the problem. Because my new style TT-50 has this issue. And the solid body cutter also made it more difficult to fix the problem with zip ties, as you described. So.... ok then

GeoTech

Dutchman

Quote from: RickKrung on May 08, 2020, 05:19:55 PM
You have not said anything inappropriately and "c'est le ton qui fait la musique"