News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Blade angle

Started by Jimshar28, May 25, 2020, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimshar28

New member here. When watching how-to videos on sharpening kitchen knives, I notice them lifting away the handle so the stone can follow the blade curvature near the point. Doesn't this change the angle?  Does changing the angle on the blade affect the sharpness near the tip?  Thanks for any input.

John_B

There is actually a right and a wrong way to sharpen the curved portion of the knife. Doing it as shown in this recent Tormek video demonstrates how to get a consistent bevel along the entire edge. The proper technique is shown just after the 22:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ifZQOJA7k
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on May 25, 2020, 04:27:52 PM
There is actually a right and a wrong way to sharpen the curved portion of the knife. Doing it as shown in this recent Tormek video demonstrates how to get a consistent bevel along the entire edge. The proper technique is shown just after the 22:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ifZQOJA7k

I can't agree with this, and multi-page threads have been written on this. ;)  (It's one of the reasons for the "pin pivot" collars).  Tormek tends to show the "basics" everytime they make a video, and seldom go off course.  (Maybe someday we'll get that promised "advanced" video)...  ::)

Quote from: Jimshar28 on May 25, 2020, 04:07:15 PM
New member here. When watching how-to videos on sharpening kitchen knives, I notice them lifting away the handle so the stone can follow the blade curvature near the point. Doesn't this change the angle?  Does changing the angle on the blade affect the sharpness near the tip?  Thanks for any input.

The key, whether you lift or rotate the blade, is where you clamp the knife jig in relation to the tip.  The easiest way to see for yourself is to get a practice knife (a kitchen knife around 8" long is a good candidate), and try clamping close to the handle, close to the tip, in the middle, etc. and you'll see the difference.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

James, I fully agree with the opinion expressed by CBWX. In my thinking grinding the edge of a blade is a trade-off between pivoting and handle lifting. In some situations raising the handle is enough in other situations pure pivoting is sufficient. In every day practice, I think, it is a combination of both.

This is in full compliance with Tormek handbook which shows pivoted blade whereas the text recommends to rise the knife handle near the tip.

Jan