News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cooling fan slipping

Started by themutleymoo, April 14, 2020, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themutleymoo

Hi,  the cooling fan on my T4 keeps slipping and making contact with the housing.  I can push it back on the shaft and after the machine has run for a couple of mins it then slips back along.  Thought I'd try here before contacting Tormek. Any thoughts on what to do gratefully received!

Thanks

Richard

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

There should be a washer behind the rubber drive wheel. Its purpose is to keep the drive wheel against the cross pin. I suspect that your washer (and possibly the pin) are missing. Remove the nut holding the leather honing wheel (3/4" or 19mm wrench). Then remove the nut holding the rubber drive wheel. When you reassemble them, be sure to get the plastic pins in the sockets.

I suggestyou contact support (support@tormek.se) or, if you live in the US, contact Tormek, Inc. (Go to the bottom of the US tormek web page for their contact info.)

Ken

themutleymoo

Thanks Ken,  I've attached a photo of the fan as I think you might be taking about a different thing - I'll check tonight but will drop Tormek a note.

Cheers

Richard

Ken S

Richard,
You are correct. I misinterpreted your question. This is definitely a question for support. Be sure to include the photo with your email
Please post the solution.
Ken

themutleymoo

Spoken to Tormek and the solution is to glue the fan to the shaft or send it back to them to fix.  As I'm in the UK i've gone with the former!!  Fingers crossed it stays put now and a lot easier than a return.

cheers

richard

Ornias

Welcome to the family of fan issues.
I myself got a old 2000 that was previously "repaired" (pretty much this is a spoiler for my resto blog :P).
Mind "repaired" the managed to remove it completely and destroy the fans, so Guess you are lucky.

Anyhow: Those a dab of medium-high temperature hotglue would be enough to give it some extra stick.
Just be mindfull with all glues: Degrease heavily and properly but make SURE no degrease gets into the bearing.
Also be aware that anyone with fan issues should regrease afterwards just to be sure. Some older motorshafts do not seem to be stainless.
SuperGrind 2000 owner (restoring) - Maintainer of SharpCalc - Modification Enthousiast