News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can I use DWF-200 on the T-4 with water?

Started by Sharpco, March 22, 2020, 09:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Of course I'll use it with ACC-150.

Is there any problem? :)

John_B

I have not seen any public information on how the DWF-200 is manufactured or exactly how the diamonds are bonded. We do not know if the design of the new diamond wheels for the T-8 is different than the T-2 wheels.

I would recommend contacting Tormek support directly.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Excellent question, Sharpco.

I have wondered the same thing ever since I first put my DWF-200 and DWC-200 on my T4. Except for the dry only constraint, they worked like a charm. I asked Tormek the same question, and was told that the wheels would disintegrate. To be fair, Tormek has only marketed these two wheels only for dry use and only for the T2. This seems a missed opportunity to me. The T4 was a major influence on the design of both the T2 and the T8. Knowing that both wheels were an exact fit for both the T2 and the T4, I wonder why these wheels do not work wet. Unlike the later, larger diamond wheels which are designed to be used wet with ACC, these two wheels are designed to be used dry. Perhaps the two designs are not compatible.

I hope that someday Tormek will introduce a series of 200 mm diamond wheels which can be used wet with the T4. I realize that Tormek emphasizes the flagship T8, however, the T4 is also a trooper.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 22, 2020, 03:57:47 PM
Excellent question, Sharpco.

I have wondered the same thing ever since I first put my DWF-200 and DWC-200 on my T4. Except for the dry only constraint, they worked like a charm. I asked Tormek the same question, and was told that the wheels would disintegrate. To be fair, Tormek has only marketed these two wheels only for dry use and only for the T2. This seems a missed opportunity to me. The T4 was a major influence on the design of both the T2 and the T8. Knowing that both wheels were an exact fit for both the T2 and the T4, I wonder why these wheels do not work wet. Unlike the later, larger diamond wheels which are designed to be used wet with ACC, these two wheels are designed to be used dry. Perhaps the two designs are not compatible.

I hope that someday Tormek will introduce a series of 200 mm diamond wheels which can be used wet with the T4. I realize that Tormek emphasizes the flagship T8, however, the T4 is also a trooper.

Ken

Disintegrate?  ???  All I recall was that they hadn't even tested it, but that the label might come off.

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 22, 2020, 09:58:41 AM
Of course I'll use it with ACC-150.

Is there any problem? :)

I've used it by spraying water (mixed with ACC) on the wheel, and has worked well.  Unlike a regular stone wheel, diamond wheels don't need a lot of water, since they're not removing "stone slurry".  YMMV.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)