News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T7 in bad condition.

Started by au, September 01, 2020, 11:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

au

Hi, I have inherited a T7 that works fine but looks in bad condition. The stone is brown and the water bath was covered in dirt. Does anyone have any tips on how to get back in shape? Same thing with the stone grader.

Many thanks in advance

DCMartin

Hi AU,  I'm new to the forum but I've been restoring metal and machinery for many years.   You can use the stone grader to clean up the stone itself (topside) and some 120 - 220 course grit sandpaper for the sides of the stone.   Pull off the lock nut and the bar you rest your jigs on and you can bathe those is CLR or white vinegar to get rid of the rust.   Use a small brass wire brush on anything bare metal and a small plastic brush with (I like simple green) on anything not metal.   That should clean it up nicely!   Dry it off every time you use it and cover it when you are not using it.   Congrats on a nice piece of equipment!

au

Thanks for the reply and the info! Will do all of that.

Ken S

Very good reply, DC.

I would try Softscrub with a Scotch Brite pad on the water trough ( both available at grocery stores). In the future, dump and rinse your water trough at the end of each session and let your grinding wheel dry. You shouldn't have further problems.

The T7 is a fine machine; I really like mine.

Ken

DCMartin

Quote from: Ken S on September 02, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Very good reply, DC.
I would try Softscrub with a Scotch Brite pad on the water trough ( both available at grocery stores). In the future, dump and rinse your water trough at the end of each session and let your grinding wheel dry. You shouldn't have further problems.
The T7 is a fine machine; I really like mine.
Ken

Thanks Ken!    Maybe in about a year or so, I'll upgrade from my T4 to a T8  ;D