News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond stones longevity? (Bad experiences from DMT)

Started by Jof, March 20, 2020, 12:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jof

Hi again.

I've had some DMT bench stones for some time and I'm not super impressed by their longevity. It seems it is very easy to damage and wear the diamond coating even with the fairly light use you'd expect from sharpening gouges. Many other people have commented this over the years too.

I'm considering getting the Tormek diamond wheels but I'm worried that like the DMT they will wear fast and won't take kindly to setups where the blade is pointing facing into the rotation of the wheel.

Anyone had any experiences they can share in this regard?

Best
Jof

blackhawk

I have only been using mine for about 2 months, not a long time.  But, I have not experienced any noticeable wear thus far.  The diamond stones start out very aggressive until they settle in.

Jof

Elden

I have experienced disappointment with the DMT Aligner plate's longevity. After following discussions here, I figure too much pressure was applied. Light pressure seems to be fundamentally essential. However, I fully understand your reservations. Time will yield true long term answers. As of now, one does not have a 7 to 10 year track record to observe.
Elden

Ken S

Jof,

Tormek states that its diamond grinding wheels have "exceptional durability". That strikes me as both accurate and honest. Tormek has never pretended that its diamond wheels will last "forever". As the diamond wheels are priced at approximately twice the cost of a Traditional grinding wheel, if it lasts longer than twice the life of the Traditional wheel, we are money ahead. I believe my diamond wheels will easily surpass that mark. With that kind of longevity, I have no doubt that my diamond wheels will outlast me.

As a side note, I have a DMT diamond flat plate for flattening water and oil stones. It cost almost $200 US years ago. It did a great job of flattening water and India oil stones. Trying to flatten a typical hardware stone carborundum stone destroyed it. It still works, but very slowly. I destroyed my diamond flat plate unintentionally through misuse. I would not have done so it the included directions had been clearer.

I was disappointed with my diamond flat plate, although I would purchase a replacement if I was still using my bench stones. My lesson from that is to be very careful using diamond grinding wheels. They offer much potential when used carefully.

Ken

PS Good comments, Blackhawk and Elden

John_B

I can only recall one negative posting about the diamond wheels and I don't think we ever got a good answer on what happened. From everything I have read a truly light touch is all that is required for sharpening and long life.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Quote from: john.jcb on March 21, 2020, 03:55:35 AM
...snip... From everything I have read a truly light touch is all that is required for sharpening and long life.

I agree.  It takes a continuous conscious effort to keep the pressure very light, even after having used the diamond wheels for over a year, particularly when switching between them and the traditional grindstones. 

I would liken the light touch to letting the tool float on the stone, without applying any downward pressure.  Just the weight of the knife plus jig and sometimes I even lift a heavier tool to avoid too much pressure.  When doing scissors, I focus on pressing against the support, more to reduce chatter than removing pressure. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jof