News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN wheel arbor too small for T4 shaft

Started by Scotty, March 11, 2020, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I purchased a Tornado CBN wheel for my T4:
Arbor is slightly too small.
Manufacturers specs calls for a 12 mm arbor
Mine mics at 11.63mm.
My T4 shaft is 11.89.
Any ideas on how to slightly enlarge the arbor?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Oops.......I would suggest that you contact the vendor, describe the problem, and request a replacement. As your wheel does not perform as listed, you should not pay and shipping.

Keep us posted!

Ken

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Scotty

Thanks.
I sensed a challenge.
I wrapped a length of emery paper around a pencil, clamped in a vise .
Put the wheel on and spun it around many times, checking the fir every ten spins or so.
Perfect, custom fitted
CBN wheel now.
Intend to run it dry.
Specs say either way.
Any thoughts out there-wet or dry?
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,

I am pleased that you were able to get your wheel working and wish you all the best with it. Did you contact the vendor? He needs to know about the problem. Hopefully it was just a fluke. In any case, there was a quality control issue.

Wet or dry? I think that is a larger issue. CBN wheels can be manufactured to work wet. I do not understand the allure of dry only wheels for a Tormek. I do not have test results to substantiate my thoughts. On the other hand, I have not seen any substantiated tests from any vendors proving that wheels are damaged by water or water and solution when used properly. As a longtime Tormek user, the "no messy water" claim does not impress me. If I preferred dust to water, I would have used a dry grinder.

Ken

Scotty

Thanks for the reply.
I am undecided about wet or dry.
As I understand it , the science behind the CBN wheels and how they removal metal differs from the traditional wheels.
Wootz's book is very revealing in that regard.
Have to respect his experience & knowledge.i believe the CBNs are susceptible to degredation/corrosion if used wet.
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,

Whether you choose to use you CBN wheel wet or dry is entirely your decision. I would encourage you to critically evaluate the information you have received. (That includes information from me; no free passes.)

Like you, I have a high regard for Wootz. I have followed his journey with CBN wheels since he first posted several years ago. I never remember him stating that he used them dry. I recall he had problems early on with his CBN wheel wearing out of flat, a manufacturing problem which seems to have been corrected. I do not recall him mentioning any difficulty caused by using his wheels wet, either before or after he started selling his own line of CBN wheels. Wootz operates a professional sharpening service and is a trained researcher.

I do not recall any other forum member posting problems from using CBN wheels wet with anti corrosion solution.
I have not experienced any problems using my D-Way CBN wheels wet, as long as I use Honerite Gold solution.

I do not doubt that your vendor has experienced complaints from customers. The impression I got from emails with him was that the problem was with sloppy usage rather than the wheels themselves. People would leave the wheels in the water troughs and not use anti corrosion solution. I understand his reaction to these complaints. I also think he overreacted. I believe his products are very useful for dry grinding sharpening of turning tools. I also believe his Tormek style CBN wheels may be more useful than he realizes.

Ken

Scotty

Thanks for the info.
I do believe you to be correct about the CBN issues arising from less than adequate care.
All things considered, wet seems a better course for knives.
I reckon I was a bit paranoid about possibly ruining a wheel that was not inexpensive.
I am not familiar with the Honerite Gold.
Do you use that as a cooling/lubrication while grinding or as a preservative when finished?
Appreciate all the advice I can get -still a newbie with a mind like a sieve.
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Honerite Gold is a Bora product similar to Tormek ACC (Anti Corrosion Compound). Like ACC, it is used diluted 1:25 with water. It prevents rust or corrosion. An inexpensive plastic graduate/ measuring spoon for children' liquid medicine from the pharmacy is the easiest way to measure small amounts.

On a side note, I just watched a Rob Cosman video showing him sharpening a chisel. Rob was using Honerite Gold solution.

Ken

Scotty

President Ronald Regan