News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Homemade FVB vs KG FVB

Started by Victor4159, February 02, 2020, 08:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor4159

Hello Gentlemen:

Apologies for the long-winded post.  The first post from an amateur knife sharpener obsessed with trying to sharpen knives that'll make my hunting/fishing buddies jealous.  I finally have the right equipment including a T-8, KG 180 & 1000 grit CBN wheels (just received), KG Large Kangaroo Tail Strop, Brubacher's PT-50B, Vadim's indispensable deburring book, and phase contrast and stereo microscopes, and KG's angle software.  The microscopes I already had for my consulting work. 

I had an FVB fabricated by a local machine shop using KG's design as a template.  The only difference is the thickness of my aluminum block is 1/4" less than KG's.  I didn't purchase to save money (mine cost more) as I'm using the same shop to grind the static clamp of a few jigs for varying spine thickness and I hate the waiting for shipments from Australia.  I thought I could purchase the FVB angle software from KG but found it only comes with the purchase of an FVB.  I emailed Vadim and asked If I could purchase it from him.  His response was that "The problem is that our FVB software works only with the FVB we fabricate. It cannot be used with home-made DIY FVBs as it will not be giving an accurate angle and you will not be getting sharp edges."

My question is this:  I adjusted my FVB to compensate for the 1/4" block thickness.  Regardless, the software allows for entering the "Ad hoc" FVB rod protrusion.  Am I missing something regarding his response because I cannot see why the software wouldn't with my FVB. 

I'm only posting this question because it took Vadim, for the first time, a long time to respond and, aware of how busy that fine man is, do not want to burden him further.  Finding his website, and the resources he provides, opened the doors for me.

I appreciate everyone's assistance in helping an amateur. 

Dutchman

The background and math that was the origin of Vadim's application can be found in the link below in my "signature"

Jan

Victor, welcome to the forum!

Now there is much more advanced software available here than the mentioned KG's angle software.  It is the TormekCalc2 written by JVH. It is free and offers exact calculations and many advanced functions related to knife or tool grinding. It is supplemented with perfect explanatory drawings. https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.0

In my understanding it can be used for your home made FVB.

Jan

Victor4159

Thank You Dutchman and Jan!!  I will review in detail the substantial information you both have sent.  After I finish a customer research project today.  Regards, Victor

RichColvin

Victor,

I've cataloged a number of options here => http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexCalc.html

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Victor4159

Thank you for the info Rich! I am humbled by the incredible support you experts share with weekend warriors like me.