News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a good example of a much better video

Started by Ken S, January 31, 2020, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I was pleased to find this video. The technique is solid and his modification of the universal support bar is clever. I liked his explanation for preferring to use the horizontal position.
Enjoy!

Ken

https://youtu.be/rEXkgGB5ge0

simonh

Good video. I found the Jeff Farris video's good for learning proper technique when I bought my machine. Amazing how many of the YouTuber's effectively do an unboxing video and haven't even read the page on proper technique of raising the knife handle or similar tips before they shoot a video. Unfortunately, those videos normally seem to percolate to the top of the recommendations and then people are left not understanding how good the Tormek really is!

John_B

My pet peeve is the sound quality on many of the recordings (not just Tormek related). For many videos the in camera microphone does a very poor job.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Simon,

I agree. In fairness, I think many you tube reviewers do not have time to read the handbook or actually use the machine before shooting the review. They are too busy with the next reviews where they must pose as table saw or kitchen gadget experts.
Like you and most of us, I have learned a lot from studying Jeff Farris' videos. Jeff spent a couple decades as a full time Tormek man. Many of our long time members actually purchased their Tormeks from Jeff, usually at shows where he demonstrated. As the importer, Jeff did most of the warranty work in the US. His turning tool DVD, available through Tormek dealers is still the pinnacle of Tormek's video productions.
Ron Robertson, who did these you tubes, is a working sharpener. He makes his you tubes "from the trenches". He knows his Tormeks.

John, Ansel Adams once said, "There is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." I agree with you about the audio quality of most you tubes. There is definitely room to grow. I would put video quality in the same category. One of my pet peeves is watching the video camera try to focus properly. Most you tubes would benefit from better editing. Better lighting would help, as would more attention to composition. However, I can overlook all of this if the content is solid and I learn something. Ron Robertson, who made this you tube, demonstrates a solid knowledge of Tormek technique. Unlike the official Tormek videos, including Jeff's, he ventures into real world difficulties like repairing a broken tip.(Broken tips, etc. don't seem to happen in the marketing world.) He uses the Anglemaster very fluently, including leaving the angle setting somewhat loose, something I will definitely try. He is fluent with his stone grader. His modified support bar recognizes and overcomes two design constraints.

I would add Ron's you tubes to my short list of recommended videos.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on February 01, 2020, 04:01:38 PM
Simon,

...snip... do not have time ...snip...

"do not TAKE/MAKE the time"..., in my opinion.

Quote from: Ken S on February 01, 2020, 04:01:38 PM
John, Ansel Adams once said, "There is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." ...snip...

Love it.  I had not heard that before.  I studied Adams' work in the Zone System.  I never got out of the fuzzy concept stage :-\  ;D

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,
I like your "TAKE/MAKE the time" expression.
Ken