News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding angle thoughts

Started by Ken S, December 20, 2019, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 23, 2019, 02:20:11 PM
Quote from: RickKrung on December 23, 2019, 11:00:41 AM
...snip...         
                     The latter is really just dawning on me
...snip...

Rick

Let the awakening begin...  ;)   ;D

I was wondering when we'd hear from you  ::)

Does the GoCalc version of your calculator, that has Distance to Stone, work correctly?  I would like to start trying it out and would like to be sure what I'm using is correct. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on December 22, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
Interesting. We have a saying in English, "Two wrongs do not make a right." (not to be applied with positive and negative numbers) In this case, two rights can make a greater right.

While my math skills are not well honed, my appreciation for math is. I find the pioneering work by Dutchman, Jan, Wootz and CB amazing. This fine pioneering work has certainly advanced sharpening.

On the other hand, my simple technique based on Dutchman's tables has served me well for several years. Shortening distance A by one millimeter is easily done by placing a second pencil line one millimeter shorter than my 139mm line on my kenjig.  I believe this will serve my simple needs. I like having the applet and FVB in reserve for unusual situations.

I think a well trained sharpener should know both methods.

Ken

Instead of drawing a line using the arbitrary 1mm would it not be more exact to reset the distance back to the original using the adjustment built into the jig?

When I use the program to calculate the honing settings I would use the original distance and add another notch for the honing setting.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Dutchman

Quote from: Ken S on December 22, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
Shortening distance A by one millimeter is easily done by placing a second pencil line one millimeter shorter than my 139mm line on my kenjig.
Half a turn of the adjustable stop is slightly more than 1 mm.
This is applicable for every "A" setting.

Ken S

Good thought, Dutchman. We sometimes overlook what a valuable measuring tool using part of a screw thread can be. It is what gives the micrometer its precision.

Ken S

Quote from: Jan on December 23, 2019, 10:09:39 AM
Rick, what I like on this forum is permanent repetition of thoughts concerning sharpening. Often it is sufficient to look at it from slightly different angle and we start to see it in a broader context. It deepens the understanding of the whole community.

Rick, the wheel surface – USB distance is much more universal parameter than the USB height measured from Tormek housing. Wheel surface – USB distance does not depend on the type of grinding machine we use and it is applicable for bench and belt grinders also.

Jan

Jan, I agree with your thought about the permanent repetition of thoughts on this forum. I think of the thought repetition as refining an edge with further honing. I believe that an early sharp Tormek edge is still just as sharp as it was, but that what we now consider a sharp Tormek edge has advanced through our communal permanent repetition of thoughts.

I find this exciting!

Ken