News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

nick in honing wheel

Started by Hat, December 09, 2019, 10:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat

I s there anyway to fix a nick in my leather honing wheel

jeffs55

Did you have the sharp edge turning into the honing wheel and cut it? If that is what happened and you have a piece sticking up that "bumps" your edge here is my suggestion. Pry up the offending bump and slice it off. This will leave a small hole, depending on how much you gouged it. If you have the wheel turning away from the edge being sharpened as you should, you might not even notice it as the edge will glide over the hole. Of course if you cut the wheel all the way across this won't work. Then you have to try and glue it down and it will still likely have a hump that will bump.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I agree with Jeff. I would try to repair it. Worst case scenario is a replacement part. Either way, you will be up and running again.
Ken

John_B

I wonder if the liquid leather repair materials used most often to fix nicks in automobiles would work to fix it?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Quote from: john.jcb on December 10, 2019, 06:42:07 PM
I wonder if the liquid leather repair materials used most often to fix nicks in automobiles would work to fix it?

Good call, John.  I think this would be a better approach than cutting the tag off, if it is large.  Hopefully, those adhesives are soft enough to not cause as much of a "bump" due to hardening of the leather in that area.  There must be a joint in the wheel somewhere just from initial fabrication.  I've never been bothered by any bump as a result from that joint.  Maybe contact Tormek support to find out what is used there. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.