News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What to do/use when the needs alot of grinding.

Started by plonken, December 06, 2019, 01:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Hopefully, in a light hearted way, we begin the:

"Belt Grinder Wars"  :D

The ultimate belt grinder is this one, the Radius Master

https://www.radiusmaster.com.au/

A good friend of mine has one of these.  He operates a very serious machining facility, all manual machine tools, but an awesome collection of classics, particularly Rivett 1020 metal lathes.  If you go here, be sure to check out the "Shop Videos".  Brett is the "source" through which I have come to own and operate two amazing lathes, an exceptionally rare 1941 Rivett 1020 and a Monarch 10EE (also a 10x20 lathe), two of the three ultimate home shop machinist lathes. 
https://www.efficientvelo.com/

Brett is also the "welder" to whom I went to get my Pin Pivot Collars welded, as a personal favor. 

The Radius Master is amazing, with the five different radius wheels over which the belt can travel and be used for grinding internal curves as well as the flat platens that can be used.  Very spendy, over $2K US, but well worth it for the serious production operation.  I will never own one as they are way above my needs or willingness to afford, but it is a sweet machine and could be used very effectively for all aspects of knife making, sharpening and probably all other facets of sharpening.   

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Nice machine......and we thought Tormeks were expensive.
Ken

jvh

Quote from: RichColvin on December 14, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: jvh on December 10, 2019, 11:24:45 PM

Hi,

I vote for a belt grinder if there is a lot of grinding. I haven't got it for a long time, still learning, but it's a really time saver.  ;)

jvh

Who makes this grinder?

It's HAIM H01 with mounted contact wheel 250x50 mm and knife sharpening support. Very versatile machine with a lot of accessories available.

jvh

Jan

Thanks for the link, JVH! It looks like a very solidly made belt grinder. The Tormekian type support bar will enable easy swapping between Tormek and this grinder because the knife jig can remain the same.

I am happy to see the frequency inverter Movitrack which enables that the grinder can use industrial standard 3 phase induction motor. For me, as an occasional amateur knife maker, it would be a perfect Christmas present.  :)

Jan

Jan

Rick, you are correct, the RadiusMaster belt grinder is an ultimate machine. I admire the cast body of the machine directly attached to the motor flange...

In the past I saw it offered by Amazon, it was machine from Jancy Slugger Engineering, but currently it is not available.

Jan