News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Supergrind - Starting Over

Started by Rick_B, October 12, 2019, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Rick,

"These prices are assuming there is no show discount." At the risk of sounding crass, if a show offered no discount, my wallet would not leave my pocket.

I agree with Rich about the value of the SVD-186.

Ken

Rick_B

Thanks Rich for your thoughts - I`m pretty sure at this point that the shaft kit will be on hold for now.  I haven't done a lot of turning lately but it is one of the areas I would like to focus on so the SVD-186 will be on the list.  I`m still unsure about a new wheel - based on Ken`s previous comments - at 220 mm mine is still very useable.  While the potential show discount is tempting I think I am going to wait and see if my current sharpening motivation lasts.  I`m hoping it does and also hoping that my wheel lasts another year.  My modified list is below - please feel free to offer suggestions relating to missing items or other thoughts

TT-50 2019 truing tool - for sure
SE-77 Square edge jig - for sure
SVD-186 gouge jig - for sure
SG250 wheel - not likely
MSK-250 Shaft Kit - not at this time

Ken - I agree about the show discount and my expectation is that there will be one.  My limited experience is that sometimes the "discount" is no shipping cost.  With the availability of free shipping these days - I'll be looking for some much more significant relief on prices.  I have heard though that Tormek is somewhat restrictive about discount programs (at least I think so).

Rick

Rick_B

OK - while waiting for the show for my new jigs I decided to clean up the drive parts of the machine.  Wire wheeled everything and lubricated the shaft and bearings with a white lithium grease.  Got the stone and honing side of the machine back together - after a few youtube visits because my memory is about shot  :).

There was a little corrosion on the universal support so I wire wheeled that as well.  Now I'm cleaning up the water trough.  This has been sitting dry and uncleaned for a few years so there is some sludge dried up in the trough.  Is there a magic potent for cleaning this or is it just/elbow grease and the right tools fornall the nooks and crannies?  Hopefully there is a magic sauce that I can let it soak in and then rinse and dry?

Thanks
Rick

Elden

From my perspective, I do not see the need of purchasing a new TT-50 unless it is functionally destroyed. I rather doubt that the diamond cutter would be shot. Judging from your pictures, it appears that you already have a second cutter? While I assume (I do not have one) the up to date new TT-50 is indeed an improvement, have you previously experienced or currently are having difficulties with the TT-50 you have?
Elden

Ken S

I think like Elden. I would try using you present TR-50 on your present grinding wheel. Set it to take a very light cut, barely touching the highest spot on your grinding wheel. Assuming it does not chatter, lower the diamond less than half a number on your microadjust. Continue this way until the diamond lightly cuts into the entire wheel. If you don't have chatter: 1) your Diamond is OK 2) your TT-50 is OK 3) your wheel is trued. If all of these happen, I yould not purchase the new TT-50. If you get chatter, you can try the electrical tie fix recommended by Ionut. (Sharpco also has a video showing using a magnet as a fix. I have not tried this, although it looks promising.)

If you don't want totry either of the fixes, or if your diamond is not cutting properly, I would suggest getting the 2029 TT-50. "Innocent until proven guilty."

Rick_B

Eldin - good questions but it has been so long since I actually used the TT-50 that I can specificlly say there are problems with my older version.  I was basing a purchase decision on others saying it was a significant improvement.  Also I'm not sure how to tell if the diamond cluster is still good or not?   I was planning on taking my TT-50 to the show with me and asking some questions at the show.  Maybe I should try it out and see what the results are?

Ken has mentioned a tie wrap fix for chatter - but I can't find that thread

Rick

Rick_B

I see Ken responded while I was typing - I'm going to follow his advice I think

Rick

Rick_B

Quote from: Ken S on October 16, 2019, 10:33:55 PM
I think like Elden. I would try using you present TR-50 on your present grinding wheel. Set it to take a very light cut, barely touching the highest spot on your grinding wheel. Assuming it does not chatter, lower the diamond less than half a number on your microadjust. Continue this way until the diamond lightly cuts into the entire wheel. If you don't have chatter: 1) your Diamond is OK 2) your TT-50 is OK 3) your wheel is trued. If all of these happen, I yould not purchase the new TT-50. If you get chatter, you can try the electrical tie fix recommended by Ionut. (Sharpco also has a video showing using a magnet as a fix. I have not tried this, although it looks promising.)

If you don't want totry either of the fixes, or if your diamond is not cutting properly, I would suggest getting the 2029 TT-50. "Innocent until proven guilty."

OK Ken - I think you may have identified another potential purchase.  My universal support has a micro adjust nut but it doesn't have numbers.  I see the USB with numbers on the Tormek site.  It doesn't appear you can simply buy the nut - you need to purchase the complete bar.

Rick

GeoTech

If you look at the parts breakdown for the T-7, the micro adjust nut with scale is #66 and is $7.95 from Advanced Machinery in Delaware.

Rick_B

Quote from: GeoTech on October 17, 2019, 12:51:34 AM
If you look at the parts breakdown for the T-7, the micro adjust nut with scale is #66 and is $7.95 from Advanced Machinery in Delaware.

Thanks for that info GeoTech - I appreciate it.  The further I look the more I find.  While looking at the USB I saw the horizontal USB base with two locking knobs.  My USB base only has one locking knob.  The more I looked the more I thought that the whole thing was really familiar.  I suddenly remembered that I had purchased some Tormek items for a standard 8" grinder.  Lo and behold I have two USB's with adjusting nuts with scale and two horizontal bases with two clamping knobs each.  I should be able to put a new base and USB on the supergrind and put the lod design on the traditional grinder.

Thanks
Rick

Elden

Rick B,
   I definitely would try out the TT-50 you have.
   If you have not read the following thread, I think you will find it interesting.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3647.0

I am nowhere close to being an an expert on the subject, but I think as long as the diamond cluster cutter protrudes beyond it's holder a little, it should work. That excludes substantial damage to the TT-50 unit that might happen if you drive a Mack truck over it. ;)
Elden

RichColvin

Quote from: GeoTech on October 17, 2019, 12:51:34 AM

Or, just mark it with numbers 1 thru 6.  If you want to get fancy, use a protractor and draw lines every 60° around the circle. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rick,

No problem with no numbers on your microadjust. The thread pitch is 1.5 mm. There are six numbers, so each number represents one sixth of a revolution or .25 mm. Eyeballing lines one sixth of the "pie" with a fine tip marker would be more than accurate enough.

If, by chance the threads are not flat on top, your support bar may have been threaded later. The thread may not match the Tormek microadjust. That's no problem. The nut you already have will work fine.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Elden on October 17, 2019, 02:47:03 AM
Rick B,
   I definitely would try out the TT-50 you have.
   If you have not read the following thread, I think you will find it interesting.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3647.0

I am nowhere close to being an an expert on the subject, but I think as long as the diamond cluster cutter protrudes beyond it's holder a little, it should work. That excludes substantial damage to the TT-50 unit that might happen if you drive a Mack truck over it. ;)

I'm with Eldon.  Unless you have the old ADV-50D diamond truing tool, use the TT-50 that you already have. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Rick_B

So I decided to follow the wisdom of the forum members and give my exiting TT-50 a try today.  I watched a few YouTube videos to refresh myself.  It seemed the results were just fine.  The stone was cleaned up and looking like new with no visible lines/discrepancies.

I guess the one concern I have is that I don't know what I don't know.  I have read about chatter - I don't think I experienced that but what would I look for on the stone after truing?  I am assuming the chatter would be coming from the up/down movement of the diamond carrier?  Is this where the tie wrap solution Ken mentions comes into play?

So assuming I'm OK with the current TT-50 - my purchase list now looks like

SE-77 Square edge jig - for sure
SVD-186 gouge jig - for sure
SG250 wheel - not likely
MSK-250 Shaft Kit - not at this tim
TT-50 Truing Tool

If I was going to splurge - what makes more sense - the shaft kit or a new wheel.  I'm looking at this as I will be at the show where discounts will be available so if I may need something over the next year now is the time to purchase.  I'm still thinking if I get a wheel it will be the SG-250 - unless someone has some good reasons to go with a SB-250 - I am certainly open to other viewpoints.

Thanks
Rick