News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Japanese SJ-200 Wheel Issue

Started by jobewan, October 12, 2019, 01:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobewan

Hey All,

2 years ago, my unbelievably generous wife bought me the T-8 ultimate package.  She got everything, including some stuff I will likely never use - and may want to sell.  However, that that is not the reason for my  post. 

I have been dabbling on Japanese WW tools for some time.  So two years ago I immediately ordered the Japanese stone for my T-8. However not sure of how/when to use it, I decided to learn to use the tool before trying the Japanese stone.  I put the unopened stone in a drawer.

Today - two years later, I decided to give the SJ stone a try.  Lo and behold - I ordered a JS-200, not a JS-250.  I tried mounting the JS-200 to my T-8, but it doesn't seem to work.  I tighten it well, but the stone just turns on the spindle - it is too large a bore it seems.  I am either doing something wrong, or what I somewhat suspect is that I may not be able to use an SJ-200 wheel on a T-8.  Is there a trick or do I own an 8" pink paperweight?

Thanks in advance folks.

Joe

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

The fix is easy. The SJ-200 is 40 mm thick. The SJ-250 is 50mm thick. What you need to do is place a spacer washer on the inside of your grinding wheel. The ideal washer would be the original stainless steel Tormek stone washer available from Advanced Machinery (advmachinery.com). Advanced is the best source of Tormek parts in North America. An inexpensive substitute in a set of three 12mm x 38mm fender washers from your local hardware store. If they are not stainless, be sure to remove, dry and oil them between uses.

Your SJ-200 will work on your T8 as well as any 250 mm wheel worn to 200 mm. That said, I think you might consider selling your 200 mm wheel and purchasing a SJ-250. The larger wheel is designed for the T8.

Keep us posted.

Ken

RichColvin

I agree with Ken.  Sell the unused SJ-200, & get an SJ-250.  You will get much more life out of the stone. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

jobewan

Ken and Rich,

Thank you so much! 

I would like to sell the SJ-200.  Can you answer a quick question?  I dont see a "Classifieds" section on this board.  Can you tell me the policy on selling on the board? 

Thanks again for the well organized and thoughtful response.

Joe

Ken S

Joe,

We have an informal policy of not allowing buying or selling either Tormek items or third party items which directly compete with Tormek on the forum. One of our members expressed things well when he said that we are Tormek's guests on the forum.

My philosophy as moderator has been to encourage the best use of the Tormek. You will see much discussion about member designed jigs and accessories. These, in my opinion, help fill in spaces where Tormek, for one reason or another, has not added items to the product list. Included are mention of some member designed and manufactured items for sale. I encourage innovation.

As part of my member/moderator preparation for the forum, I regularly follow ebay. You might want to consider listing your SJ-200 there.

Ken

jeffs55

Sell the 200 and then think about why you even want the 250. If you have just got to have it and money is no object, go ahead. The Japanese stone is not going to make a remarkably sharper edge than the regular stone graded to 1000 grit and then using the honing wheel.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Quote from: robincooper on October 16, 2019, 03:03:32 PM
250 is much better than 200

Robin, I think I understand your point, however, I would clarify that both SJ stones are essentially the same. The difference is that the SJ-200 is sized to fit the T4 and the SJ-250 is sized to fit the T8. The larger stone is the practical choice in this case. It is not a better stone.

Ken

RichColvin

I have tried both methods and can categorically state that the SJ wheel makes for a better edge than the honing wheel alone.  This is especially true for carving and bench woodworking tools. 

For turning tools, it is better to resharpen often on the SB or SG grindstone (and hone or use the SJ stone only for finishing cuts).

Certainly the SJ is an investment and should be considered thusly.  But I think it is a very different tool than the leather honing wheel.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Quote from: RichColvin on October 17, 2019, 03:08:38 AM
I have tried both methods and can categorically state that the SJ wheel makes for a better edge than the honing wheel alone.  This is especially true for carving and bench woodworking tools. 

For turning tools, it is better to resharpen often on the SB or SG grindstone (and hone or use the SJ stone only for finishing cuts).

Certainly the SJ is an investment and should be considered thusly.  But I think it is a very different tool than the leather honing wheel.

Kind regards,
Rich

Are you saying these results are obtained using the SJ wheel in lieu of the leather wheel or in combination?

Have you tried it to see if you think it improves knife sharpness.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RichColvin

I find that the SJ wheel is usually sufficient.  Sometimes it makes sense to make a pass (or two) across the honing wheel also, but not that often.
Rich Colvin