News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

mew t-4 owner

Started by dasrott, November 19, 2019, 10:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasrott

ok quite new to this and using the machine primarily for carving knives. in reading the forum i see the reference to the ken jig which seems like a good idea and i believe the article mentions a wheel measurement of 250 mm but my understanding is that the wheel that comes with the t 4 is sg 200 which is 200 mm i believe so I can't use the measurements listed in the kenjig article and have to recalculate I guess.?? this forum is so extensive i would like to think that similar measurements are available for the 200 mm wheel if my thinking is correct. I hope this makes some sense sorry to be such a neophyte

Ken S

Rick,

Here is a link to the 200mm diameter table in the older version of Dutchman's booklet. Start with the bevel angle you desire on the left vertical column. Going across that horizontal line, you can either set the distance between the top of the support bar or set the projection from the back of the support bar to the blade edge. I have standardized on 15° bevel (each side), and 139mm Projection. Going across the 15° line to 139mm (138mm on the table), I go up to 85mm Distance between the support bar and the grinding wheel. A rough compensation, since the table lists 138mm would be 139mm Projection and 86mm Distance.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1411417/Tormek-T7.html?page=7#manual

The kenjig is primarily designed for kitchen knives. You can use the same standardization theory for carving knives. Take measurements and notes each time you sharpen a carving tool. You will soon develop a system.

Ken

This link is only to get you started. Dutchman has revised his booklet. You will want  to use the latest version. Here is the link to it:

http://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/More%20math%20for%20the%20Tormek%20grinder%20A5%20serial.pdf

dasrott