News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS 50 questions

Started by rtaylor80127, September 17, 2019, 06:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtaylor80127

I am trying to sharpen an oval skew with the SVS 50. Using the settings JS 20-P 55- and Hole B I do not get the 45 degree edge angle. It is 30 degrees. I am following the directions in the shaping and sharpening woodturning tools manual. What am I doing wrong?

rtaylor80127

Wow....I must have found something that has never happened before :P. Any one from Tormek know??

RichColvin

Ray,

The only thought I have is to be sure the projection is set correctly.  The manual says to do it the way shown in the picture attached (which I thought was odd for a while)

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

rtaylor80127

Yep, that's it, except 55 instead of 65??? I am not getting it!!!

Ken S

My skew sharpening has been limited to Lacer grind skews, which, because of their combination shape can be reshaped and sharpened on the Tormek, but not with the SVS-50. Also, I am a beginning turner. That stated, I am curious as to why you want a 45° bevel. 30° would seem more practical.

If you want a 45° bevel, have you tried using hole A on the TTS-100? It is normally used with some turning tools for a 45° bevel.

Ken

rtaylor80127

Thanks for your input everyone. I am a beginning turner also. The reason that I wanted a 45 was that the sharpening manual says that 45 is easier to control. I thought I would give it a try first and then move on. I am finding the skew to be a challenge anyway. The 30 that I have does not hold an edge very long either. Let me know what you think, maybe I'm totally wrong in my thinking. I have read other posts about sharpening the skew, a Robert Sorby to be exact, and it was found that it was so hard to shape because of the HSS. That proved to be the case with me also. I ended up using a slow speed grinder and then perfecting with the Tormek and the 50 jig.

Ken S

Based on my own recent experience becoming comfortable with the skew, I recommend learning to use the 30° bevel skew. The key to this is overcoming the concern of catches. I did this by switching the standard four prong live center with a safety center which slips in the event of a catch. This prevents the negative effects of catches. The catches still happen, however, the wood just slips instead of causing problems.

Expect to sharpen your skew frequently. Look at how much wood your skew cuts compared with a wood chisel.

Ken

AKMike

It may just be the picture, but the skew angle appears to be greater than 20 degrees. Please check your jig settings one more time. Alan Lacer and Allan Batty, both woodturning pros, recommend a bevel angle of 40 degrees. The 30 degree bevel is going to dull rapidly unless you are only turning softwoods, and will prove more prone to catches. A 40 (39 degrees, really) degree bevel angle will result in bevel widths that are 1 1/2 times the thickness of your skew chisel, a bit harder to measure on your oval skew than a flat skew, but useful for eyeballing the correct bevel angle without a protractor.

This video by Allan Batty, is great for new skew users. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

Mike

Ken S

Thanks for an informative post, Mike. I will give it serious thought tomorrow, when my mind is more awake.
Ken

rtaylor80127

Well, that's another reason to get the 45 that the 50 jig is suppose to produce with these settings. So again why is the bevel angle turning out at 30. I am following the recipe prescribed for a 45 bevel with a 20 skew??? Maybe the book is printed wrong. Great video BTW

Ken S

Please ignore my reply. I had reverted to my default bench chisel mode. My skew sharpening has been mostly limited to the Lacer grind which does not use the SVS'50. Mike is a much more experienced turner.

Ken

AKMike

I measured the bevel angle of my oval skew ground with  settings 20-65-B at 30 degrees, and the bevel angle of a flat skew ground with 20-55-B at 45 degrees, both matching the chart.

Mike

rtaylor80127

What am I missing or doing wrong????????????

AKMike

It looks like you have the older version of the SVS-50, with the squared off closed seat. The newer version has an angled closed seat, and I don't know if that is causing the protrusion to be wrong. There are directions on how to modify the closed seat, but I can't find them right now. Maybe another forum member will chime in.

Mike

RichColvin

Mike,

That's a great catch.  I have been racking my brain to figure this out.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.