News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just saying hello...

Started by micha, August 31, 2019, 04:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micha

Hello community,

I'm looking forward to being part of this great forum. It's been a wonderful source for all kind of information. Just by lurking around here I learned so much.
I'm really grateful that so many of you "old hands" here are sharing your profound knowledge so generously.

To introduce myself a bit:
I'm quite a new Tormek user, after some careful consideration I got a new T8 with quite some accessories.
I'm mostly into knives, but also enjoy woodworking, thus I'm also fascinated by the great job this machine does with sharpening chisels and planer blades. A great addition to my workshop. I'm just a hobbyist.

Just wanted to say hello and thanks again for your willingness to help and your great ideas.

Regards from Germany

Mike

RickKrung

Welcome to the forum.  Please join in by letting us know what you are working on and what difficulties you run in to. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

Welcome micha; you are going to enjoy sharpening your knives and tools. The results that can be obtained are truly outstanding.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

micha

Thank you very much.
I feel I'm making good progress. So far I've restored some of my chisels (even some of the former tin lid openers  ;) ) Sharpend two planer blades, too.
Sharpening straight knives is quite an easy task and the results are outstanding. I'll sure need some more practice with strongly curved blades, but am confident I'll get the hang of it soon.
Even sharpened my first household scissors successfully, thus rescuing them from being thrown away. That thing didn't even cut anything before, now it's as good as new.

John_B

I have done a few scissors for family and friends. They were all relatively inexpensive ones and I would have replaced them with a new pair if they did not turn out. Even after practicing I am reluctant to try a really good pair. The ones I did turned out well but my confidence is not where it should be for scissors. Plane blades and chisels are fun to do. My first chisel customer cut himself while handling one as he was so use to them being too dull to cut.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

micha

Yes, I'm also still cautious before sharpening the more expensive stuff :). Especially scissors and tools. These scissors were also really inexpensive ones which wouldn't have brought about deep regret if the experiment had failed.
I'm getting reliable great results on knives, though, so I'm not that hesitant with these. I've prescribed myself some more serious training  before actually grinding the better recurved ones - I'm still learning, reading and practicing a lot.

This forum with all its dedicated Tormek users is such a great starting point with so much information and so many people sharing their most clever ideas - a big Thank You to all!