News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek PROFFS-250 - rare model?

Started by hhh, August 20, 2019, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: ilmarihh on August 24, 2019, 06:18:11 PM
...snip...
Here you can find some pictures that I took today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17gq53eoct4xFAea20XuPy2trygjup0FQ

Your photos may not be viewable to many.  They are posted on Google Drive, or at least I had to log into there and then I couldn't view them.  I had to "request access", so I am waiting for that to clear.  Many, who do not have a GD account may not be able to see them at all. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

hhh

Hi Rick,
Thanks for noticing me. It should work now? At least I can view them without signing in and in incognito mode. I've been using Drive for many years and sometimes this happens that sharing permissions are not correct even if I think they are. I updated sharing permissions again and

Here is the link again: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bhFRnRVogIt6-ad28ZAKIbw6LJCX_0Mm

I hope it works.

Ilmari

Jan

Congrats Ilmari to your acquisition! It really unique old model in very good condition.   :)

Jan

Ken S

I am excited for you, Ilmari! Except for Brinky, I don't think any of us were even aware that this model existed.

When I was younger, I used to collect things. Now, approaching seventy and eventual much smaller senior quarters, I find that joy in seeing and learning about things. Thank you for sharing your photographs of your Tormek.

I hope you will continue posting and sharing your Tormek journey.

Ken

brinky

Yes, this is identical to mine. the wheel is original so has not had much use. I purchase mine from ebay(the machine was in Sydney) for the wheel as price for whole machine was the same as a new wheel. Looking around the web I get the idea this model would have come in the late 80's early 90's as I also have the 4000 model which was purchased new by me in 1998, I prefer this one to the 4000 for US arrangement!
Ken, I have not met Derek, I am not a woodworker by any means, my main interest is knives and steels. Butchering was my trade, I worked in the meat industry for many years.
Brinky

Ken S

Interesting, Brinky. Too often we tend to think of knife sharpening in restaurant terms, although "the heavy lifting" has always been done by butchers. Are you familiar with the work of Vadim Krischuk of Knife Grinders in Sydney? (Yes, I realize Sydney is on the other side of the continent.) Vadim, called "Wootz" on this forum, in my opinion, is the world leader in advancing knife sharpening. He combines scientific research with being a working sharpener. Much of his field testing has been with meat packing plants.

Ken

brinky

Hi Ken, Yes am aware of Vadims Excellent research work and website and have purchased some product. Many meat industry workers have understood what happens on the actual knife edge and maintain the edge with a steel, tho not commercial steels as few are suitable. Many make their own steels from rat tail files as you can adjust the fineness or coarseness to suit. When slaughtering mutton the hide contains sand and other things which dull a knife quickly, the need to restore the edge quickly is done with a coarser steel, finer steels are used in boning rooms etc. There are many variables with knife use.
I am age challenged! My initial grinding experience was on the metre diameter wet sandstones, slow but good.
Having a close look from Vadims website and research is excellent.
I have been meaning to reply for sometime. Regards Brinky

Ken S

Brinky, I am pleased that you are posting. The challenge of age brings with it the experience of age and our varied life experiences. One side effect of our maturing is an inner need to mentor younger coworkers, just as "the old timers" mentored us and helped us in our trades. With the forum, we can all absorb some of the wisdom of many life experiences.

I have never used a one meter diameter grinding wheel. I imagine trying to keep a grinding wheel of that size trued would be quite a project! One would quickly learn the importance of wheel circumference in measuring grinding Surface Feet per Minute.

You have certainly experienced the working end of Vadim's (Knife Grinders) research on edge sharpness and retention. Both the researcher and the worker are vital to our learning process. Vadim's BESS measurements provide repeatable scientific documentation. You don't need measurements; your body quickly tells you when your knife is dull.

In constant use, how long would a knife typically last for you before it was no longer usable? Did each individual sharpen his own knives?

I hope you will continue posting; we have much to learn from you.

Ken

GeoTech

brinky

Ken, Sorry late reply. A knife in constant use in a boning room for instance, would be a daily sharpen if you have not hit a chain mail glove or such. A worker would normally carry two knives and steel which normally gets them through the day. For sharpening we usually look for thinness behind the edge to stop the wedging effect which causes drag, a knife will shave but still drag if to thick behind the edge. The sharpness is not determined so much by the grit of the stone as the last thing to touch edge determines sharpness, in our case it is the steel which determines sharpness, as such the knife needs to be able to shave after steeling. Workers would probably make three thousand cuts a day, steeling is vital to maintaining an edge throughout the day, a good steel is treasured.
As an example: Using a norton india fine bench stone to finish edge, and steeling. Using a victorinox six inch curved boning knife we could easily bone twenty beef bodies daily, or one hundred and twenty sheep which was a normal days work.Understanding steeling is very difficult to teach, there are many misunderstanding about their use which can only be gained with experience. I have not worked in the industry for twenty years and know that much has changed. Brinky

John_B

Quote from: brinky on October 14, 2019, 02:41:06 PM
Ken, Sorry late reply. A knife in constant use in a boning room for instance, would be a daily sharpen if you have not hit a chain mail glove or such. A worker would normally carry two knives and steel which normally gets them through the day. For sharpening we usually look for thinness behind the edge to stop the wedging effect which causes drag, a knife will shave but still drag if to thick behind the edge. The sharpness is not determined so much by the grit of the stone as the last thing to touch edge determines sharpness, in our case it is the steel which determines sharpness, as such the knife needs to be able to shave after steeling. Workers would probably make three thousand cuts a day, steeling is vital to maintaining an edge throughout the day, a good steel is treasured.
As an example: Using a norton india fine bench stone to finish edge, and steeling. Using a victorinox six inch curved boning knife we could easily bone twenty beef bodies daily, or one hundred and twenty sheep which was a normal days work.Understanding steeling is very difficult to teach, there are many misunderstanding about their use which can only be gained with experience. I have not worked in the industry for twenty years and know that much has changed. Brinky

While my personal usage does not come close to this level I make it a point to steel any blade I am using before I start cutting with a smooth steel. I am sold on how it maintains an edge. After much use I will use a steel that has very fine grooves. I find that this routine adds greatly to the time needed between sharpening. I also train each of my customers on how to properly use a steel. Many admit that they don't bother which is a little disheartening.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease