News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening hoof knifes

Started by Even, August 13, 2019, 09:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Even

Hello.
Does anyone here have experience sharpening knives?
Have a customer here who came with several of these, has not got the desired result on the tormek.
Have rounded the corners of the SG stone and tried there, but probably have to do it free handed.. Have tried small knife jig but its not optimal.
Does anyone have any tips or experiences?

Looks like I have to go with diamond files or dremel, but im affraid i dont get the result I want to give to my customers.

Regards Even

Ken S

Even,
One of our forum members, Steve Bottorff, has posted an excellent youtube covering sharpening this kind of knife with the Tormek. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/KrhZULmd18g

Ken

Even

Hey, Ken.

I have tried this but am generally poor at sharpening freehand.
And the knife's narrow and curved and convex at the same time, means I can't use the SWM-45.
The handle is thick and the blade has a curved point at the end which makes it difficult and sharp.

I'll take some pictures later today for you to see.

But I will make another attempt at freehand like the video you linked to.

Even

Ken S

Even,
A quick online search revealed several bird's beak knives (including Victorinox) for under twenty dollars US. I would look at a couple inexpensive sharpening practice knives as useful sharpening "tuition" for building skills.
Ken