News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond spray on leather wheel?

Started by Sharpco, July 07, 2019, 02:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Tormek leather wheel doesn't polish the high abrasive resistant steel like CPM-S110V.

How about using alcohol or water base diamond spray on leather wheel?(PA-70 + Diamond spray)

What micron do you think would be good for?

Antz

I haven't tried this but I would think using 3-6 micron diamond paste wouldn't hurt. The tormek pa-70 is said to be 3-6 micron so the diamond compound would be the same micron size.

If you're using your tormek leather wheel already impregnated with oil I would use an oil based compound. The oil in the leather will repel a water based compound.

To me I would only stick with tormek compound on tormek wheel. That's just my preference and it's never let me down.

Antz

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Fernando

Quote from: SHARPCO on July 07, 2019, 02:36:13 AM
Tormek leather wheel doesn't polish the high abrasive resistant steel like CPM-S110V.

How about using alcohol or water base diamond spray on leather wheel?(PA-70 + Diamond spray)

What micron do you think would be good for?

The tormek pa-70 polishing paste should be useful even for this steel CPM-S110V, I have been able to polish even edges of ceramic knives.

Jan

Steel S110V contains among others some 9% of Vanadium and some 3% of Niobium which form very hard carbides. Both carbides are significantly harder than Al2O3 grains in the SG wheel or in the Tormek compound PA70. Al2O3 can only abrade the steel matrix but not cut the VC and NbC carbides.

Jan

Sharpco

I applied diluted Jende diamond emulsion on leather wheel that is applied diamond paste. It works.

Georgie

Quote from: Jan on July 09, 2019, 10:23:49 AM

Steel S110V contains among others some 9% of Vanadium and some 3% of Niobium which form very hard carbides. Both carbides are significantly harder than Al2O3 grains in the SG wheel or in the Tormek compound PA70. Al2O3 can only abrade the steel matrix but not cut the VC and NbC carbides.

Jan

I just finished reading Dr Kraichuks (Wootz, if I may be so familiar) abbreviated (free) .pdf excerpt of his book regarding exactly this. Several of the Scanning Electron Microscope clearly show the vanadium inclusions and how they affect edge formation and why certain abrasives are needed to correctly deal with them.

Georgie

Quote from: SHARPCO on July 11, 2019, 11:06:05 AM
I applied diluted Jende diamond emulsion on leather wheel that is applied diamond paste. It works.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching your YouTube video Tormek Honing Wheel Test https://youtu.be/kO1dyGxa3Rg where you prepared two Tormek honing wheels with 5 micron and .5 micron diamond pastes. Took particular note of your meticulous methodology and your shop's near operating room cleanliness!

The video answered my own thoughts about using separate honing wheels with various compounds. In fact I found both pastes online but unfortunately the 5 micron paste was out of stock.

A question? How did you apply the Jende emulsion? Was it in addition to one of these prepared wheels?

Sharpco

Quote from: Georgie on July 15, 2019, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: SHARPCO on July 11, 2019, 11:06:05 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed watching your YouTube video Tormek Honing Wheel Test https://youtu.be/kO1dyGxa3Rg where you prepared two Tormek honing wheels with 5 micron and .5 micron diamond pastes. Took particular note of your meticulous methodology and your shop's near operating room cleanliness!

The video answered my own thoughts about using separate honing wheels with various compounds. In fact I found both pastes online but unfortunately the 5 micron paste was out of stock.

A question? How did you apply the Jende emulsion? Was it in addition to one of these prepared wheels?

:) I applied the Jende emulsion on the leather wheel you saw in my video. 4 micron and 0.5 micron.