News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 water trough

Started by Ken S, June 28, 2019, 04:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Recently I have been using mostly my diamond wheels. There is no abrasive deposit from diamond wheels as there is from Original grinding wheels. Plus, the magnet catches the steel particles, leaving the water trough quite clean. Just a wipe with a paper towel over the magnet area and a quick rinse makes everything fine.

Tonight I used my TT-50 on a new SB-250. Truing any new Original grinding wheel is standard good grinding practice. My SB-250 needed just a bit of truing.

I then performed my standard cutting test. I place a new metal lathe tool bit in my sauare edge jig, set the bevel angle for 25° with the Anglemaster, and grind for five minutes. I stopped once to refresh the stone with the coarse side of the stone grader.

Out of time, I cleaned up my work area. I dumped the dirty water into a bucket. I started to wipe out the grinding debris with a paper towel. I was surprised by the amount of debris. In a flash of brilliance, I removed the scraper from the T8 water trough. The scraper made quick work of all the debris. Nice design touch.

I did not measure the amount of water. Even working somewhat haphazardly, my water spillage was quite minimal, perhaps two or three drops. Over the years I have had a few clumsy sessions where I had excessive spillage. (The lip of the rubber work mat caught that.) However, a few drops at most is more typical.

Ken

John_B

I also discovered that with the adjustable trough that there is an optimum height setting where the wheel is properly immersed and you get virtually no spillage. If it is too high you will have quite a mess. Use the guide line in the trough. I think over a long time the trough will need to be raised to compensate for wheel wear.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Well stated, John. While not a big factor, the T8 water trough requires half the fluid of the T7 trough. (The round bottom design is part of this.) I would not trade a functioning older Tormek to get the new water trough. I would factor it in while considering a purchase.

Ken