News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVM-45 Jig

Started by dusmif, June 21, 2019, 01:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Watching a video about knife sharpening on the Tormek, I noticed that who was doing this clamped the SVM-45 at an angle.
Is this helpfull to do so to get better results on the knife curve ?
Thanks
Alf

Ken S

Alf,

The knives I sharpen, mostly my kitchen and practicing knives, all have shallower curves. Therefore, I don't know the answer to your question.

My concern is that I find so many of the videos are done by people with more you tube aspirations and experience than Tormek experience. Is clamping at an angle innovative or just sloppy?Is using a generic green compound "just as good" as using Tormek PA-70 or did the you tube "expert" run out and decide to just use what he had on hand? Is sharpening with quick rock 'n roll passes as good as the slower method shown by knifegrinders au. and sharpco? I am skeptical.

Be sure to carefully vette you sources.

Ken

dusmif

Ken,

Thank yopu for your reply, this video I found it on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/TormekSharpeningInnovation/

I am under the impression it is an official page of Tormek.
This another photo fond on same page.    But you could be right after all.

Alf.

Josu V

I always clamp the blade as parallel as possible to the bevel.
If the bevel is not parallel, the grinding angle changes along the bevel.

If the blade has a sharp curve, I clamp the blade closer to the tip, but parallel to the bevel.

I think that this way of holding the knife is not correct. In my humble opinion.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

dusmif

Quote from: Josu V on June 21, 2019, 07:36:07 PM
I always clamp the blade as parallel as possible to the bevel.
If the bevel is not parallel, the grinding angle changes along the bevel.

If the blade has a sharp curve, I clamp the blade closer to the tip, but parallel to the bevel.

I think that this way of holding the knife is not correct. In my humble opinion.

Regards

I think the same as you, and that was the advise given to me, but seeing this video I thoiught that there is another way. :)
Alf