News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Before you mount the wheel on your new Tormek

Started by Ken S, June 06, 2019, 01:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Here is a very simple step you should do before even mounting the grinding wheel on your new Tormek: Make a label saying "Tormek Spacer
                                           Important SAVE"

Stick this on the transportation spacer which comes with your new Tormek. This is an important part of your Tormek; do not discard it. With the spacer in place you can safely transport your Tormek in a car or truck. Also, carrying your Tormek is easier with the grinding wheel removed. Having the spacer in place prevents the shaft from sliding off of the bushings (and possibly onto the floor).

Save your transport spacer.

Ken

mandatory66

Ken, that is good advise I threw mine in the garbage in my shop and when I realized that it holds the shaft in I had to go fish it out of the can. I have since made a sturdier collar by drilling a hole through a piece of dowel.

Ken S

Clever thought. A piece of dowel would work fine. No need to purchase a long piece of plastic to store. Use what you have on hand. The nicest spacer I recall was in a Sharpco video. It looked custom machined. Given the high level of Sharpco's sharpening technique, his metal spacer did not surprise me.

I suggest making several spacers. You only need one, however, locating it can be frustrating. Also, they are a practical, inexpensive gift for Tormek friends.

Ken

Twisted Trees

Quote from: Ken S on June 06, 2019, 11:50:13 AMI suggest making several spacers. You only need one, however, locating it can be frustrating. Also, they are a practical, inexpensive gift for Tormek friends.

Ken

keep pit next to your pencil's guaranteed to find it whenever you do not need it then :)

Ken S

John_B

It is also necessary when you need to remove the grinding wheel for honing knives especially with the FVB.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease