News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 vs T-8 BESS sharpness?

Started by Antz, June 04, 2019, 08:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

Dusmif,

I will mostly use my t4 for knives and when I have to take it somewhere. At first I was apprehensive about getting the t4 for the same reason as you (the 30 min duty time) but I used it already for over an hour straight with no issues or over heating. I think Ken has been pointing out that the 30 min duty time is a leftover from the t3 days when they had plastic housings. I think going an hour or so on the t4 is no issue. My t8 will stay on one spot, I built a special table for it that's about knee high so I can use it while sitting. I just did a bunch of chisels today that had to be completely resurrected so I used my t8. It took almost one and a half hours for two chisels! I wish I could most some before and after photos but I haven't figured that part of the forum out yet.

Antz

Also I sounds like you do a lot of woodworking tools so I think you made a wise choice with the t8. My opinion is for mobile knife sharpening the t4 is plenty enough and a lot easier to lug around.
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

dusmif

Thank you Antz,
"I built a special table for it that's about knee high so I can use it while sitting. "
I have not decide yet, should I use a standing bench or sitting while sharpeneing. Now you said that you did a table knee high, what is your opinion on this with your experience using it please? Do have any modification if you choose to make another one?
Thanks.
Alf

Antz

Alf,

My table is 22" high and 27"x27" width. It also has heavy duty locking casters. I sit on a 24" high stool to work. If I were to build another one I would make the table about 20" inches high instead of 22". I also would make it about 14"x14" width so when I'm sitting up close I can easily have my knees on each side of the table (more like a custom pedestal than a table). Hope that helps.

Antz

dusmif

Quote from: Antz on June 20, 2019, 10:56:52 PM
Alf,

My table is 22" high and 27"x27" width. It also has heavy duty locking casters. I sit on a 24" high stool to work. If I were to build another one I would make the table about 20" inches high instead of 22". I also would make it about 14"x14" width so when I'm sitting up close I can easily have my knees on each side of the table (more like a custom pedestal than a table). Hope that helps.

Antz
Thank you Antz, that is most helpfull.
Alf

Gary@QSS

Quote from: Antz on June 16, 2019, 08:20:37 AM
So I decided to get a t-4 in addition to my t8. I wanted a more portable option for going mobile as the t8 is deceptively heavy, especially with the wheel saturated with water.

I received it yesterday and set it up. I ordered it from amazon and when I opened the box I realized they had packed the tormek t4 UPSIDE DOWN the whole time during shipping (Tormek Box was upside down in amazon box and shipped). I was worried something would be wrong but after setting it up it ran just fine to my relief. Only issue was the SG200 wheel was severely out of round. I had to true off about 3mm to get it flat and true.

First thing I noticed was the considerable weight difference, it's so much lighter than a t8 and I love  the compact size. Also with the smaller wheel I don't end up wetting my shirt leaning over the machine. It had plenty of power to do knives (primarily what I do) doesn't bog down at all. I sharpened 3 knives on it, one being a super thick SOG survival knife that needed to be completely rebeveled. It worked like a champ. I had no problems on the skinnier t4 grinding wheel. It performed and did the job just as fast as my t8 would have.

My honest opinion now that I own both a t8 and a t4 is you can't go wrong with either one. I literally  LOVE my new t4. It's just such a more convenient size and perfect for knife sharpening. I ran it for about an hour continuously and it never felt any hotter than my t8 runs (so much for the 30min duty time). Honestly I can actually see myself using the t4 more often than the t8. I am VERY pleased with the t4. If anyone is just focused on sharpening knives of a reasonable volume (15 or so a day) I would definitely recommend saving some money and buying a t4. There is no way you will be disappointed. Now if you have higher volume of knives or lots of turning tools and planer blades I would definitely get the t8.

Hope this post will be helpful advice to anyone deciding between the two.

Antz

I too have been dealing with the cumbersome weight of the T-8 (I'm an old guy) and having to lug it around as I go off-site to service some venues. Even with the grinding stone removed, it has become more than I wish to deal with. Those occasions are normally just sharpening kitchen cutlery. I had about decided to purchase a T-4 for those events, then I thought why not get the new T-2 instead?

Any thoughts/input to help me with the decision?
Gary

Ken S

Gary,
I have both a T4 and a T2. I would highly recommend the T4. The T2 is designed to be used by essentially untrained restaurant staff. It suits that purpose well. The T4, like the other Tormek models, is designed to be used by a sharpener. As a fellow old guy, I can attest that the T4 is much easier to carry. The T4 can do everything the T8 can, at half the weight.

Ken

Antz

Gary,
I second what Ken said about the t4 vs t2. Although I don't have a T2, I did as much research on it  as I could. I would choose the t4 especially if you already have experience with the T8. The T2 is more like a pull through type sharpener. And to the original topic of this thread I can attest to the sharpness that you can achieve with the T4 as I just cleanly sliced through the tip of my finger clean through my fingernail on the other side  :( . I was holding a hair and chopping it into sections as it floated freely in the air and it didn't end well. I don't recommend doing that

Antz

Ken S

Gary,
As a fellow old guy, I think what you need is a strapping young assistant to carry your T8.  :)
Ken

Gary@QSS

Quote from: Antz on July 07, 2019, 08:51:57 AM
Gary,
I second what Ken said about the t4 vs t2. Although I don't have a T2, I did as much research on it  as I could. I would choose the t4 especially if you already have experience with the T8. The T2 is more like a pull through type sharpener. And to the original topic of this thread I can attest to the sharpness that you can achieve with the T4 as I just cleanly sliced through the tip of my finger clean through my fingernail on the other side  :( . I was holding a hair and chopping it into sections as it floated freely in the air and it didn't end well. I don't recommend doing that

Antz

Yikes! I'll try to remember not to use that sharpness test.
Gary

Gary@QSS

Quote from: Ken S on July 07, 2019, 03:13:10 PM
Gary,
As a fellow old guy, I think what you need is a strapping young assistant to carry your T8.  :)
Ken

I thought about doing that. Texas Woman's University is just down the road. I was going to call the placement office, but my wife felt strongly that getting a T-4 was a better solution.  8)
Gary