News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Laser line guide for freehand sharpening

Started by Antz, May 30, 2019, 07:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

So I have an idea to assist with freehand sharpening on tormek or paper wheels or bench grinders for that matter. First use a protractor to mark the angles you want to sharpen or shape at. Second mount a laser line market overhead. Then just shoot the laser on your choice of angle and sharpen away. Just keep the edge of your knife on that laser mark to produce consistent bevels. Just thought I'd share my idea. I haven't done it yet but I will soon. The laser is pretty cheap (24$ US). And it's adjustable. Here's a link
https://www.amazon.com/Viper-Laser-Throw-Line-Marker/dp/B00FRMHZJA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=viper+laser+line&qid=1559192992&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or this one
https://www.amazon.com/INFINITER-Generator-cutting-Adapter-included/dp/B077JV44LM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=laser+line&qid=1559193105&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Antz

Sorry I meant laser line marker not market

Jan

Antz

Thanks. Sorry I didn't know there was a thread going on this topic.  :-[

Jan

Antz, you are welcome.  :) They are so many threads and posts here. It is very difficult to get an overview of a subject. The search engine is often not very effective.

Jan

Ken S

Jan makes a very important point. I have often been frustrated with our search engine. In my case, much of the problem may be operator inexperience. However, I wonder if we can do anything to improve things.  That is the reason I have started so many topics. I don't know if this helps.

This would be an excellent opportunity for those of us with computer savvy to post.

Ken

Josu V

I have copied the "Sharpco´s system".
I saw it in one of his videos about sharpening a Tanto blade.

Video: https://youtu.be/cvlWF_3fcTE
(1:32)

I remember that Wootz use it too for sharpening convex blades.
I use this system for Convex and Tanto blades with good results. And the laser is very cheap (9€ in aAmazon)

I hope I have helped.
Abusus non tollit usum

Jan

"Sharpco´s system" is really great. Directly sterile cleanliness of his workplace surprised me.  :)

The only thing I wonder about is the angle setting when he changes the SB wheel for the CBN wheel. Generally the wheel diameters are different. The same concerns the honing wheel. Maybe he did it off the record.

Jan

Josu V

Actually I use Sb-250 and Diamond wheels DF-250 - DE-250.
Every time I change the wheel, I must calculate the new measure for the same grinding angle. Then, I adjust the laser to the new point and continue with grinding.
Abusus non tollit usum

Antz

Just wanted to say I wasn't trying to pass someone else's idea off as my own. I really did think of it at home in my garage. But apparently I was far from the first person to think of it. I'm new to tormek's. Great links and thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks
Antz

Twisted Trees

Quote from: Antz on May 31, 2019, 12:25:03 AM
Just wanted to say I wasn't trying to pass someone else's idea off as my own. I really did think of it at home in my garage. But apparently I was far from the first person to think of it. I'm new to tormek's. Great links and thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks
Antz

Ideas come to many of us, I suspect that 99% of the home made gadgets in my workshop exist in other workshops, I may have a go at the laser I do like lasers  ;)

RichColvin

Antz,

CB posted an item in 2018 about a pivot jig based on 4 collars.  Rick Krug took that and came up with the pin pivot jig.  And then Gord Cameron came up with one based on a block of aluminium.  The progression of ideas allows for choices and preferences. 

So, please don't stop.  These ideas are what is advancing the craft.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Jan

Antz, Antoine de Saint-Exupery said: "When by mutation a new rose is born in a garden, all the gardeners rejoice."

Jan

John_B

I think the laser guide would also be a useful tool when you are doing kitchen knives as well. s you raise your hand to sharpen the curved part you should stay on the line to keep the  grind even. If you do not pay attention to this it is easy to have a wider grind as you approach the tip. While I doubt that it hurts anything it does not look as professional as a perfectly even grind along the entire edge.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Josu V

Quote from: Antz on May 31, 2019, 12:25:03 AM

Thanks
Antz

I understand. My contribution is to provide details that can help develop your idea  :)
I hope your progress attentively.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum